What happened, what’s next: Big Ten Championships Session 1

The Hawkeyes sent their four wrestlers with first-round byes into the semifinals.

Iowa’s 165-lb Alex Marinelli wrestle’s Ohio State’s Te’Shan Campbell during the first session of the 2019 Big Ten Wrestling Championships in Minneapolis, MN on Saturday, March 9, 2019. Marinelli won by decision, 6-3.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Iowa wrestling found success in the first round of the Big Ten Championships on Saturday, but Round 2 was a different story.

The Hawkeyes had nine of their 10 grapplers competing in the quarterfinals, but only four advanced to the semis: Spencer Lee, Austin DeSanto, Alex Marinelli, and Jacob Warner, all of whom had first-round byes.

With one session down, here’s what happened and what’s next:

Championship Bracket Round 1

125 pounds – Lee, Bye

133 – DeSanto, Bye

141 – Max Murin defeats Nate Limmex (Purdue), 4-0

In a low-scoring affair for Iowa’s first match of the day, Murin rode his way to a first-round victory. After a scoreless first period, Murin started on top in the second and didn’t let Limmex escape, riding the Boilermaker for the entire two minutes.

Murin then found a way to escape in the third and added a takedown. A point for riding time put Murin into the second round with a 4-0 win.

149 – Pat Lugo defeats Jordan Shearer (Nebraska), 8-5

Lugo extended his seven-match win streak to eight by doing all of his work in the first period. He scored a takedown early and added a four-point near fall. After a Shearer escape, he racked up another takedown.

Those 8 points would be enough for Lugo, who conceded an escape and a takedown in the third.

157 – Kaleb Young defeats Jake Tucker (Michigan State), Medical forfeit

Young ran onto the mat, got his hand raised, and ran off, picking up the victory by medical forfeit.

165 – Marinelli, Bye

174 – Ryan Christensen (Wisconsin) defeats Mitch Bowman, 3-2

Bowman appeared to have a win locked down, leading Christensen, 2-1, with under 30 seconds left in the match. But with Bowman on top, Christensen got to a spot for a reversal to take the lead and didn’t give it up.

Bowman’s loss was Iowa’s first of the day.

184 – Cash Wilcke defeats Brandon Krone (Minnesota), 2-1

Wilcke’s 1:08 of riding time proved to be crucial in his 2-1 win over Krone. After a scoreless first period, he escaped from bottom in the second and rode Krone for 1:20 in the third to earn the point for riding time.

Wilcke got in on a shot in the final seconds but couldn’t finish, proving the importance of riding time.

197 – Warner, Bye

285 – Sam Stoll defeats Chase Beard (Michigan State), 6-1

Stoll came out ready after dropping his last two matches. Seeded at No. 8, Stoll picked up a 6-1 decision over Beard by scoring 2 takedowns in the second period. An escape in the third and a point for riding time put him into the quarterfinals.

Championship Bracket Round 2

125 – Lee defeats Elijah Oliver (Indiana), Fall in 1:37

Lee opened his Big Ten Tournament as Lee does. He scored an early takedown and after a blood timeout, finished the match with a pin in 1:37.

133 – DeSanto defeats Ben Thornton (Purdue), 9-3

After a first-round bye, DeSanto made easy work of his opening match with a 9-3 win over Purdue’s Thornton. DeSanto toppled Thornton when the two faced on Nov. 24 but opened that margin to 9-3 in the postseason.

DeSanto started with a takedown and kept that momentum rolling into the second period where he picked up a takedown and a point for stalling. After starting on bottom in the third, DeSanto escaped, scored another takedown, and added a point for riding time.

141 – Nick Lee (Penn State) defeats Murin, 8-3

Although Murin’s matchup with Lee was closer than the final score says, it’s where things started going downhill for Iowa. Lee led 4-2 heading into the second period, but an escape cut the deficit to 1 and Murin continued to hold his own against the Nittany Lion.

In the final period, however, Lee picked up a point for a locked hands situation, escaped, and found a place to get a takedown.

149 – Brady Berge (Penn State) defeats Lugo, 4-2 (Sudden victory)

Penn State continued to be the thorn in Iowa’s side at 149 pounds. It took two sudden victory periods to determine a winner, but Berge emerged victorious.

After a pair of escapes in regulation and the tiebreaker round, Berge scored the match’s lone takedown in the second sudden victory period.

157 – Alec Pantaleo (Michigan) defeats Young, 3-2

Young continued the downward trend for the Hawkeyes, dropping another heartbreaker in the quarterfinals.

After a scoreless opening period, Young escaped from bottom before Pantaleo bounced back with a takedown. Another escape from Lee evened the score, but Pantaleo started the third on the bottom and a final escape from the Wolverine was the final dagger.

165 – Marinelli defeats Te’Shan Campbell (Ohio State), 6-3

Marinelli, one of four Hawkeyes with a first-round bye, got Iowa back on the right track in the quarterfinals. A takedown and a point for stalling got him out to a lead in the first period and a takedown in the second expanded on his advantage.

Conceding only 3 escapes, Marinelli added a point for riding time for a 6-3 win to move to the semifinals.

184 – Emery Parker (Illinois) defeats Wilcke, 3-2

Wilcke set himself up for success in the quarterfinals. After an escape apiece, Wilcke looked as if he would score a takedown, but he stumbled and Parker took advantage with a takedown of his own. Wilcke escaped and continued to attempt to regain the lead, but it wasn’t in the cards.

197 – Warner defeats Beau Breske (Wisconsin), 10-4

Warner became the last Hawkeye to make it to the semifinals with a 10-4 win over Breske. The 197-pounder entered the third period with a comfortable 6-2 lead and added onto that after an escape.

285 – Gable Steveson (Minnesota) defeats Stoll, 5-3

Stoll didn’t post the upset Iowa fans were looking for when he took on top-seeded Steveson. Steveson opened the match with a takedown and went into the final frame with a 3-1 advantage. A Stoll escape cut the deficit to 1, but a final Steveson takedown sealed the match.

What’s next

Lee will open the semifinals with a battle against Minnesota’s Sean Russell, the tournament’s No. 3 seed.

DeSanto will face Nick Suriano of Rutgers, who he beat 6-4 when the two collided on Jan. 18.

Marinelli will be tasked with Wisconsin’s Evan Wick for the third time this season after coming out on top the first two bouts of the season.

To round things out for Iowa, Jacob Warner will face second-seeded Kollin Moore of Ohio State.

In the wrestlebacks, Murin, Lugo, Young, Bowman, Wilcke, and Stoll will all vie for third place.

Team standings

1.Penn State, 77.0

2. Minnesota, 54.0

3. Ohio State, 53.5

T4. Michigan, 45.0

T4. Nebraska, 45.0

6. Iowa, 41.0

7. Wisconsin, 31.5

8. Rutgers, 23.5

9. Northwestern, 20.0

10. Michigan State, 17.0

11. Purdue, 16.5

12. Illinois, 16.0

13. Indiana, 9.0

14. Maryland, 1.5