Nelson posts solid performance at NFL Combine

Anthony Nelson ranked among the top defensive linemen in multiple on-field workouts at the NFL Combine.

Iowa+defensive+end+Anthony+Nelson+attempts+to+stop+Nebraska+quarterback+Adrian+Martinez%27+pass+during+the+Iowa%2FNebraska+football+game+at+Kinnick+Stadium+on+Friday%2C+November+23%2C+2018.+The+Hawkeyes+defeated+the+Huskers%2C+31-28%2C+with+a+last+second+field+goal.+

Iowa defensive end Anthony Nelson attempts to stop Nebraska quarterback Adrian Martinez' pass during the Iowa/Nebraska football game at Kinnick Stadium on Friday, November 23, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Huskers, 31-28, with a last second field goal.

Lily Smith

Lily Smith

Lily Smith

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Just one day after Noah Fant and T.J. Hockenson grabbed headlines with their workouts at the NFL Combine, former Iowa defensive end Anthony Nelson recorded impressive marks of his own on Sunday.

Nelson ranked fifth among defensive linemen in the 40-yard dash with a time of 4.82 and made his mark in the agility drills as well, finishing second in the 3-cone drill in 6.95 and third in the 20-yard shuttle in 4.23.

The Waukee, Iowa, native also tied for fourth in the broad jump with a mark of 9 feet, 10 inches and placed fifth in the vertical jump with 35.5 inches.

He didn’t place in the top-15 defensive linemen in the bench press, however, finishing with 18 reps – eight less than Rashan Gary and Byron Cowart, who tied for 14th.

Amani Hooker is the only former Hawkeye yet to take the field for workouts. He will close the Combine with the defensive backs on Monday.