Joe Wieskamp

Robert Read, Sports Reporter

While only a freshman, Joe Wieskamp has become one of the deadliest sharpshooters in the Big Ten.

Wieskamp, the state of Iowa’s all-time leading high-school scorer, averages 11.9 points per game. That mark ranks third on the team, but he has achieved it while taking fewer shots per game than teammates Tyler Cook and Luka Garza, the two in front of him.

Veteran Big Ten coaches such as John Beilein and Tom Izzo have been quick to commend the Iowa freshman, saying his game goes beyond what you see from a player of his age. That respect translates to the court, where Wieskamp is face-guarded off the ball and often faces the opposing team’s best wing defender.

Despite being such a focal point of the defense’s game plan, Wieskamp still produced. He is shooting 51.6 percent from the field and a team-leading 45.3 percent from beyond the arc.

With his ability to drain any shot after crossing half court with his veteran moves driving to the hoop, that creates an offensive weapon of the likes of which head coach Fran McCaffery may not have seen before.

Weiskamp’s standout game of the season thus far is his Jan. 20 shooting clinic against Illinois. On his way to a career-high 24 points, he had a perfect shooting performance, 8-for-8 from the field, including 6-for-6 from 3-point range. The game earned Wieskamp Big Ten Freshman of the Week honors and cemented his status as a scorer to be feared in the conference.

Wieskamp is the Hawkeyes’ best scorer, and the scary thing is (for the rest of the Big Ten) that he is only getting better.