Iowa AD Barta appointed to College Football Playoff Selection Committee

Gary Barta was added to the College Football Playoff Selection Committee today after Ohio State Athletics Director Gene Smith stepped down from his role.

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Al

Iowa Athletic Director Gary Barta speaks with a photographer before kickoff of the New Era Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium in New York on Wednesday, Dec. 27. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Iowa Athletics Director Gary Barta has been appointed to the College Football Playoff Selection Committee, replacing Ohio State Athletics Director Gene Smith, who stepped down after two years of service, CFP Executive Director Bill Hancock announced Friday.

Barta, who is in his 12th year at Iowa, also serves on the NCAA Division-1 Council and the NCAA Ad Hoc Committee on Sports Wagering.

“I’m honored to be invited to work on the CFP selection committee,” Barta said in a release. “I look forward to serving alongside the other 12 committee members. I’ve known many of the people involved for years and know they’re passionate about college football and have all demonstrated character and integrity throughout their careers.”

Barta is also involved with the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics and was named the 2015-16 Under Armour Athletics Director of the Year by the organization.

“I’m delighted that Gary will be joining the committee,” Hancock said in a release. “He is a highly respected leader in college football and I look forward to him becoming a member of the committee. I know Gary to be a person of excellent judgment and he’ll fit right in.”

The CFP Selection Committee ranks the top-25 teams in the country while assigning the top four squads to the semifinal games.