Hawkeye tennis dominates in home-openers

Both the Iowa men’s and women’s tennis teams started off 2-0 in 2019 after winning their respective dual matches at home.

Shivansh Ahuja

Iowa’s Sophie Clark chips a backhand during a women’s tennis match between Iowa and Northern Texas on Sunday, January 20, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Mean Green, 5-2.

Cody Smith, Sports Reporter

Both the Iowa men’s and women’s tennis teams competed this past weekend, dominating their respective meets.

The men’s team defeated Western Michigan (6-1) and Marquette (7-0) on Jan. 19 at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex.

The women matched the men’s hot start, defeating Xavier (7-0) to win their ninth-straight home opener on Jan. 18. Iowa followed that up with a solid win against North Texas, 5-2, on Jan. 20.

The Hawkeyes set the tempo in both matches on the men’s side by securing the doubles point.

In the first match against the Broncos, freshman Oliver Okonkwo and sophomore Will Davies stormed back in a thunderous 6-4 comeback, winning five-straight points to secure the doubles point for the Hawkeyes.

Iowa then did the same in the second match against the Golden Eagles, when veterans Kareem Allaf and Jonas Larsen won the second doubles match.

“It was a good day,” head coach Ross Wilson said.  “We were able to battle back and win a few of those matches to take the doubles points. Both matches were similar in that we won the doubles, then we won two singles matches easily. Overall, I thought the guys hung in there when they had difficult moments and were able to overcome some deficits. It was just nice to come away with wins today and play a lot of matches.”

Shivansh Ahuja
Iowa coach Ross Wilson watches Joe Tyler during a tennis match between Iowa and Western Michigan in Iowa City on Friday, Jan. 19, 2018. The Hawkeyes earned the doubles point but lost the match overall, 5-2.

The men’s squad looked focused and determined from the start, which showed on the scoreboard. The crowd became a factor, which helped Iowa push through some tough times in which things looked as if they could swing the other way.

“Obviously, playing at home we got all the support of our friends and family, which is great,” Davies said. “And obviously being in an indoor building with all those people courtside, we can create a great atmosphere, which definitely helps the boys play a lot better. It just brings another bit of energy away for tennis which is really good.”

RELATED: Iowa women’s tennis hopeful for wins 2019 home-opener

As good as the men’s squad was, it wasn’t perfect. The lone loss on the day came in the first match against the Broncos when sophomore Morgan Lohan fell to Kennosuke Nouchie (6-4, 6-3) at the No. 6 singles position.

The women got a bit of revenge over the Mean Green after getting bested last spring (4-3).

However, compared with the men’s squad, which has plenty of returning starters, the women did it with four first-year players.

Samantha Mannix, Ashleigh Jacobs, Sophie Clark, and Cloe Ruette all picked up wins in their first spring matches as Hawkeyes. The new faces proved this squad is looking for a fresh start this season after a disappointing season last spring.

RELATED: Iowa men’s tennis ready to continue success in 2019

“I saw a lot of fight and a lot of spirit from team,” senior Adorabol Huckleby said. “That is what we look for at the beginning of matches and especially to start this season. I’m looking forward to showing that fight in future matches.”

Iowa will continue to build on its impressive starts next weekend.

The women’s squad will head to Dartmouth on Jan. 26, then play Brown on Jan. 27 in Hanover, New Hampshire. The men’s squad has a much busier weekend. The Hawkeye men play at home against North Dakota and East Tennessee State on Jan. 25 followed by Butler on Jan. 27.