Iowa women’s tennis hopeful for wins 2019 home-opener

The Hawkeye women’s tennis team gets ready for a challenging spring season.

Iowa+head+coach+Sasha+Schmid+and+strength+coach+Lindsay+Winkelman+cheer+on+the+Hawks+during+the+match+against+Penn+State+at+Hawkeye+Tennis+and+Recreation+Complex+on+Sunday%2C+April+9.+

Ben Allan Smith

Iowa head coach Sasha Schmid and strength coach Lindsay Winkelman cheer on the Hawks during the match against Penn State at Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex on Sunday, April 9.

Cody Smith, Sports Reporter

The Iowa women’s tennis team is ready to get back in the swing for the spring season. The squad will open at home in the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Center today against Xavier at 5 p.m. and then North Texas on Jan. 20 at 10 a.m.

Given how youthful the team is this season compared with years past, head coach Sasha Schmid knows how important it will be for her team to get ahead early and secure the doubles point.

“I think doubles is really really important for us,” she said. “We’re still in evolution of partners and doubles teams. I think being aggressive, playing with a lot of confidence, and definitely being the team that steps and takes control of the match early will be the key for us in doubles.”

Bringing in a lot of new faces will be a challenge, but it’s something that the Hawkeyes will have to figure out.

RELATED: Iowa women’s tennis searches for smooth transition from fall season

“We can’t really control our youth,” Schmid said. “I think we just got to go out and continue to play. I think we are going to grow a lot this year.”

Although the Hawkeyes aren’t as experienced as the Musketeers, they are coming off a season in which they were better than .500 at home, despite numerous injuries. Xavier last season struggled on the road, going 4-8 in away matches.

Margaret Kispert
Iowa head coach Sasha Schmid watches a match during the Iowa-Creighton match at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex on Saturday, Jan. 21, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Blue Jays, 7-0.

In both matches, Iowa is going to lean heavily on senior Adorabol Huckleby and junior Elise van Heuvelen Treadwell.

Last spring, North Texas got the best of Iowa, 4-3 in a tightly contested battle. The Mean Green bring back six upperclassmen this season, including three seniors who are on pace to be the program’s most successful class in school history.

“With only two upperclassmen [for the Hawkeyes], there’s a lot that falls on their shoulder,” Schmid said. “We’re looking for them to come really ready, and be professional throughout the match, and play hard and competitive, and handle adversity well.”

The Hawkeyes will have some very talented freshmen ready to show that they belong with some of the best athletes in the Big Ten, especially Michelle Bacalla.

The freshman had a strong fall season after getting acclimated to being a college student-athlete. In just two tournaments this past fall, Bacalla went 4-2 in singles and 2-1 in doubles while being paired with sophomore Ashleigh Jacobs.

“We want to have a good start to the season, but you never know,” Bacalla said. “Hopefully, with our preparation and hard work leading up to this point, it’ll be really good.”