Anthony Nelson earns Big Ten recognition

Anthony Nelson added to Iowa’s defensive line accolades after its win over Nebraska.

Lily Smith

Iowa defensive end Anthony Nelson attempts to bring down Nebraska running back Maurice Washington during the Iowa/Nebraska football game at Kinnick Stadium on Friday, November 23, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Huskers, 31-28, with a last second field goal.

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

It was another dominant week for Iowa defensive ends. Just one week after sophomore A.J. Epenesa was recognized by the conference, Hawkeye junior Anthony Nelson picked up a Big Ten Co-Defensive Player of the Week honor after his performance in Iowa’s 31-28 win over Nebraska Nov. 23.

Nelson racked up a career-high 8 tackles in the win over the Huskers, including 2 sacks, while also breaking up a pass.

Nelson and Epenesa are now tied for the Big Ten lead with Minnesota’s Carter Coughlin with 10 sacks on the season. That mark is the most by a Hawkeye since Mike Daniels in 2011.

In Iowa’s 63-0 slaughtering of Illinois on Nov. 17, Epenesa recorded 8 stops with 1.5 sacks, a forced fumble, a defensive touchdown, a pass breakup, and a blocked punt.

The pair has now been recognized by the Big Ten twice this season.

Nelson earned CoSIDA District 6 Academic All-American honors this month, while Epenesa scooped up Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week after his performances against Iowa State and Illinois.

After ranking fifth in the Big Ten with 8 sacks in 2017, Nelson is picking up right where he left off.