Iowa ends regular season with five-set win over Ohio State

The last match of the regular season ended in a win for Iowa volleyball, as it beat Ohio State at home in five sets.

Nick Rohlman

The Hawkeyes celebrate after scoring a point during a match against Ohio State at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City on Saturday, Nov. 24, 2018. The Hawkeyes defeated the Buckeyes in five sets.

Pete Mills, Sports Reporter

Iowa pulled out the win in a long five-set match against Ohio State on senior night for the Hawkeyes.

It was the last match of the regular season for the Hawkeyes and their fourth-straight five-set marathon.

Ending the regular season on a high note gives the Hawkeyes a boost to either have confidence in the NCAA tournament or bring momentum into next season. The team dropped the previous three matches and suffered major injuries down the stretch.

The final match of the season in Carver-Hawkeye Arena was certainly an exciting one for head coach Bond Shymansky’s squad. The fifth set was very contentious and came down to the last point for the Hawkeyes, the game-winning point coming by way of a kill from senior Reghan Coyle.

Coyle had a big night in her last match on the home court. She had 21 kills on the night and hit .326 as she helped propel her team past the Buckeyes.

Senior Taylor Louis added 9 kills in the match, adding to her nation-leading career total of 1,964.

Senior Molly Kelly surpassed the threshold of 600 digs, the first Iowa player in the history of the program to do so.

This season gave Iowa major wins over top-25, season-ending injuries, and disappointing losses, but it’s not over yet. The NCAA tournament selection show is Nov. 25, and the Hawkeyes will wait for their fate to be called.