College Football Week 11: Michigan sits atop the Big Ten

It’s the wonderful time of the year when football and basketball cross over. Bless up.

TNS

Michigan quarterback Shea Patterson (2) runs the ball against Wisconsin in the first half on Saturday, Oct. 13, 2018, at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Mich. (Kirthmon F. Dozier/Detroit Free Press/TNS)

Pete Ruden, Sports Editor

Big Ten Power Rankings

1) Michigan (8-1):
Beating Penn State by 35? Pretty good.

2) Ohio State (8-1): 
Beating Nebraska by 5 at home? Could be better.

3) Wisconsin (6-3):

The Big Ten is so jacked up that Wisconsin went from No. 6 last week to No. 3 this week.

4) Penn State (6-3):
You cannot persuade me that Michigan State is a better team than the Nittany Lions. Also, Penn State plays “Mo Bamba” a lot, so my hands are tied.

5) Michigan State (6-3):
Brian Lewerke and Rocky Lombardi combined for 87 yards and 2 picks. The Spartans still beat Maryland, 34-3.

6) Purdue (5-4):
David Blough and Rondale Moore are for real. Also, Purdue Pete has a cool name.

7) Iowa (6-3):
“Despite being shut out offensively, Iowa is still the best team in the West.” These power rankings last week.

8) Northwestern (5-4):
Sadly for the Wildcats, this is not a ranking of IQ. We think.

9) Maryland (5-4):
Matt Canada should change his name to Matt America. Seems like a good marketing move to me.

10) Illinois (4-4):
I never thought I would have the Illini in the top 10 of anything, but here we are.

11) Indiana (4-5):
The Hoosiers have a good shot at finishing conference play with one win. Over Rutgers.

12) Nebraska (2-7):
Cue the Husker fans asking why they aren’t ranked after beating Minnesota and only losing to Ohio State by 5.

13) Minnesota (4-5):
Minnesota was ranked No. 4 in the first edition of these power rankings, lol. *Insert joke about a sinking boat here.*

14) Rutgers (1-8):
Ah, Rutgers in last place. Just like the good ol’ days.

Big Ten Schedule

No. 24 Michigan State vs. No. 8 Ohio State (-3.5)

11 a.m. | FOX

This game will serve as Ohio State’s last important tuneup before the battle of East giants against Michigan. The Buckeyes can’t overlook the Spartans, though, because they are certainly capable of taking down good teams.

No. 21 Penn State (-9) vs. Wisconsin

11 a.m. | ABC

This would have been an incredible game at the beginning of the season. While it has lost some of its luster 10 weeks in, it will still be a good battle between two solid offenses and defenses.

Nebraska (-17) vs. Illinois

11 a.m. | BTN

How can Illinois follow up a 55-31 shellacking of Minnesota? A similar game against one of the Big Ten’s worst teams. It’ll be interesting to see how bad the Huskers really are.

Indiana vs. Maryland (even)

11 a.m. | BTN

At least it takes place in Bloomington, which is a pretty cool place with really good wings.

Rutgers vs. No. 4 Michigan (-40)

2:30 p.m. | BTN

One word can describe this game: blowout. No. 1 in the coveted power rankings against No. 14. It won’t be close. The Scarlet Knights could show up in the next county; the Wolverines wouldn’t score any more points.

Iowa (-10.5) vs. Northwestern

2:30 p.m. | FOX

Northwestern has had Iowa’s number in the past, but the Wildcats won’t come out of Kinnick with a victory this year. The Hawkeye offense is back on the right track, and the defense won’t stay down long.

Minnesota vs. Purdue (-12)

2:30 p.m. | ESPN2

Trains are better than boats, especially when it comes to football teams that are obsessed with both. The Boilermaker offense is going to run wild against a weak Gopher squad.