UI falls in U.S. News’ best research university rankings

The UI has fallen seven spots to No. 159 in the U.S. News & World Report’s latest rankings of the 1,250 best research universities in the world.

Joseph Cress

The Old Capitol is seen on Thursday, Nov. 30, 2017.

Kelsey Harrell, News Reporter

In the U.S. News & World Report’s latest rankings, the UI ranked 159th out of the 1,250 best research universities in the world — down seven spots from No. 152 last year.

The UI ranked in the top 100 for two research areas, 81st for Psychiatry/Psychology and 94th for Neuroscience and Behavior.

U.S. News ranked universities from 75 countries based on 13 indicators that measure academic research performance and global and regional reputation.

Other areas the UI ranked well in were: 107th in immunology, 108th in clinical medicine, and 128th in arts and humanities.

Earlier this year, the UI ranked at No. 38 in the U.S. News “Best Colleges” ranking, down seven spots from No. 31 last year.

The Daily Iowan previously reported that UI officials suggested the drop in rankings was caused by the decline in state funding for higher education. U.S. Newsin part compiles the rankings based on resources and other factors indirectly affected by resources.

“The U.S. News rankings are a stark illustration of what happens when there’s not enough investment by the state in higher education, which will necessitate additional investments by students and their families,” UI President Bruce Harreld said in a statement to The Daily Iowan when the“Best Colleges” ranking was released. “Continuing the generational disinvestment will result in further reductions in outcomes for students and the university.”