Hawkeye volleyball seeks to break 24-year NCAA Tournament drought

Iowa volleyball has not appeared in the NCAA Tournament in 24 years. An underdog mentality and gritty play make the Hawkeyes think this is the year to break that streak.

Iowa+volleyball+head+coach+Bond+Shymansky+answers+questions+after+Iowas+match+against+Michigan+at+Carver-Hawkeye+Arena+on+Sept.+23%2C+2018.+

Megan Nagorzanski

Iowa volleyball head coach Bond Shymansky answers questions after Iowa’s match against Michigan at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Sept. 23, 2018.

Pete Mills, Sports Reporter

The word “rebuild” does not really describe Bond Shymansky’s tenure as head coach of Iowa volleyball. More accurately, Shymansky is attempting to establish a winning culture that has never really existed.

In 1994, Bill Clinton was president, Nancy Kerrigan was hit in the knee by a police baton, and Pulp Fiction was released. It was also the last year Hawkeye volleyball made the NCAA Tournament.

They have been on the brink of reaching this hurdle in recent seasons, but they are determined to ensure this is the year. The squad was seemingly a win or two short of making it happen in 2017.

In a press conference at the beginning of this season, Shymansky recalled the feeling of missing this goal by mere inches.

“That is a motivating factor,” he said. “It can be bitter at times, but it can also be inspiring. It makes our players — especially the returners — work harder.”

This belief is shared by longtime members of the team. Success has been relatively high this year, largely felt after the upset win over a top-10 Wisconsin team. However, some members of the team remember when a single win in Big Ten play — even a win against a team in the basement of the conference — was cause for celebration.

“My freshman year, we went 2-18 in the Big Ten, so looking back on that and seeing the growth that we’ve made as a program has been incredible,” senior libero Molly Kelly said. “I know this team is capable. I know we’re going to achieve it this year.”

While some, like Kelly, remember the hard times of Iowa volleyball, others are no strangers to success on the sport’s biggest stage.

Senior Taylor Louis’ contributions to Iowa volleyball have been nothing short of historic. She has consistently been among the top in the conference in kills per set this season, and her presence has been vital to the team’s success.

Along with her pure talent and high level of play, Louis brings experience. Recruited by Shymansky during his six-year stint as head coach at Marquette, Louis began her college career as a Golden Eagle. She saw NCAA Tournament action during her time there, and that experience has given her a way to motivate her Iowa teammates.

RELATED: Major win over No. 6 Wisconsin gives career nights to volleyball hitters

Simply put, Louis knows what a tournament team looks like, and she knows what is required to help a team get to that point.

“I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s a goal — it’s an outcome,” Louis said. “I think we definitely focus on our mission every day, on and off the court. That gets us closer to getting in the tournament.”

This is largely consistent with the coaching philosophy of Shymansky. The basic idea behind the team’s mentality of “True Mental Toughness” is bettering oneself in every way. This, the Hawkeyes say, will inevitably give them the results they covet.

The accomplishments of this season have been impressive, what with the trajectory of the program — especially given the state of the program just four years ago. With a 12-7 record and a win over a top-10 team, the team has the right to be proud of its accomplishments.

Individual performances have been gritty and off the charts. Kelly ranks third in the Big Ten in digs per set, even with this being her first season as the team’s libero. Louis and Cali Hoye are rocking the conference right now, both in the top 10 in kills per set.

It’s clear the team craves that trip to the NCAA Tournament. If you see the Hawkeyes as underdogs, they’d probably tell you you’re right. But that’s just how they want it.