I don’t want to go to haunted houses (but they’re mostly safe)

Isabella Rosario, Opinion Columnist

I’ve feigned interest in going to haunted houses before, but I’ve never actually followed through on an invitation. I enjoy horror movies because they can be consumed while sitting down. In truth, I’ve always just been lazy in this respect — the physical exertion of attending a haunted house is spookier than anything else.

However, I recently found a “perk” of having a newly diagnosed medical condition involving an excessively high heart rate: I probably shouldn’t go to a haunted house anyway. In 2016, a “Today” show correspondent had his heart rate monitored as he went through New York City’s Blood Manor. The scares took his heart rate up to 146 beats per minute. My usual resting heart rate is already somewhere around there, so I’d probably pass out at a haunted house (or so I will say as my excuse).

Medical concerns aside, people should also be comforted in knowing that haunted houses are pretty safe. Professional ones are standardized to meet city and state codes, equipped with sprinklers and emergency exits. Outside props, including knives and swords, are not allowed for guests and often actors as well.

That’s not to say injuries don’t happen. This month, a man in Tennessee was stabbed in the arm at a haunted house and needed nine stitches. Really, though, haunted houses are fun for people who like them. Barring certain medical conditions, you’ll almost certainly be fine. If you’re worried about the safety of haunted houses, just know that you’re much more likely to injure yourself while carving a pumpkin.