Haunted houses are spooky scary fun

Lucee Laursen, Opinions Editor

Nothing is better than that feeling you get right before you walk into a haunted house — heart racing, blood pumping, fists clenching. It’s a feeling I live for.

Yes, haunted houses are scary. At every turn, there could be a ghost or ghoul waiting to jump out, and that’s the point. Haunted houses are captivating. They force every participant to pay attention and live in the moment — something that so many of us need to do a lot more of.

More than their unparalleled spooks and scares, haunted houses serve as fundraisers for local charities, nonprofits, and municipalities. In the Johnson County area, Jaycees hosts a haunted corn maze. Last year, profits were donated to an Easter egg hunt and the Children’s Hospital among other charitable causes. Community members are also encouraged to bring canned goods for donations.

Haunted houses also serve as a nonalcoholic entertainment for college students and people looking to have alcohol-free fun.

Most of all, haunted houses bring people together. Whether it’s with a group of close friends or family members, dredging through a haunted corn maze or haunted house, everyone forms a bond.

Haunted houses provide family friendly fun that benefits the community as a whole. Why not give it a try?