Iowa soccer hosts Big Ten contest

In the Hawkeyes’ first home conference game, they will try to return to winning ways and break their losing streak.

Defender+Hannah+Drkulec+fights+for+the+ball+during+a+game+against+Virginia+Commonwealth+University+on+Sept.+2%2C+2018.+The+Hawkeyes+won+the+match+2-0.+

Iowa soccer hosts Big Ten contest

Defender Hannah Drkulec fights for the ball during a game against Virginia Commonwealth University on Sept. 2, 2018. The Hawkeyes won the match 2-0.

Megan Nagorzanski

Megan Nagorzanski

Megan Nagorzanski

Michael Whalen, Sports Reporter

The Iowa soccer team, trying to shake off a losing streak, will match up with Purdue at 7 p.m. today to kick off the Big Ten home schedule.

Iowa comes into this game with a 4-4-1 record; Purdue is 5-2-2.

The Hawkeyes are in the midst of a four-game road losing streak, so they would like a little home cooking to turn the season around. In the five home matches Iowa has played, it has a record of 4-0-1. Purdue has little experience on the road this season, splitting two games.

The Hawkeyes’ record does not accurately reflect their skill — some matches were almost in their grasp. 

RELATED: Iowa soccer goes cold on road trip

“I think we need to solve some things,” coach Dave DiIanni said. “The games [on Sept. 14 and Sept. 16] were two very different games; we played without some very influential players [on Sept. 14]. We didn’t capitalize, and we let in some very uncharacteristic goals.”

The Hawkeyes head into today’s game at full strength and healthy. Following a Sept. 16 loss at Rutgers in double-overtime, the coaching staff made changes to the lineup to increase the experience on the field.

“I feel a lot of responsibility [about leading a younger team],” junior forward Kaleigh Haus said. “I’ve been through it, and they haven’t before, so I need to lead them through this on how to act and to never back down.”

With the more experienced lineup, the team should feel more secure about fixing small errors and the overall play.

This week in practice, the Hawkeyes have focused on finishing their chances with quick goals and tap-ins. Defense improved last week after being a focal point in practice, and the idea is the same with the offense.

Most of the changes that need to take place come back to the players’ mental mindset. With the previous starting lineup being mainly younger players, the pressure started to build on individuals.

One player who does not show the added pressure is freshman defender Sara Wheaton.

“Conference is definitely just more intense all over the field,” Wheaton said. “The physicality, the mental part of the game, and the technique of the game. The Big Ten is such a big conference, everything is just amplified by 10.”

Wheaton has been a key part of the Hawkeye defense this season. She is on the field for the majority of each match and helps control the defensive tone of the game. 

RELATED: Hawkeye soccer set to kick off Big Ten play 

It is no secret the Iowa defense is one if its strong suits. Keeping other teams to three non-set pieces and 10 goals in nine games is good, especially against the teams the Hawkeyes have played.

The Hawkeyes should get the win today; they are undefeated at home and 9-6-3 against Purdue all-time. They beat the Boilers, 2-1, last year, and the experienced roster should be able to do the same. 

• Iowa soccer hosts Big Ten contest

Multimedia

Photos: Soccer vs. Northwestern (10/21/18)

• Iowa soccer hosts Big Ten contest

Soccer

Iowa soccer draws with Northwestern to end season

• Iowa soccer hosts Big Ten contest

Soccer

Hawkeye soccer loses to Minnesota and loses ground in Big Ten standings

• Iowa soccer hosts Big Ten contest

Soccer

Hawkeye soccer looks to break tie with Minnesota

• Iowa soccer hosts Big Ten contest

Soccer

Iowa’s new sole female soccer coach takes an ‘attacking-minded’ style

• Iowa soccer hosts Big Ten contest

Soccer

Hawkeye soccer sweeps state of Michigan

• Iowa soccer hosts Big Ten contest

Multimedia

Photos: Soccer vs. Michigan (10/14/18)

• Iowa soccer hosts Big Ten contest

Soccer

Iowa soccer in a scramble for the postseason

• Iowa soccer hosts Big Ten contest

Soccer

Iowa soccer wins in an upset against No. 22 Nebraska

• Iowa soccer hosts Big Ten contest

Soccer

Iowa tennis, with new players, ready for new experience