Volleyball gets work done with defense

The Hawkeye squad has enjoyed some success in the last few weeks. Senior Molly Kelly and Iowa’s defense are largely to thank for this; the team is second in digs in the Big Ten.

Megan Nagorzanski

Courtney Buzzario hits the ball during Iowa’s match against Eastern Illinois on Sunday, Sept. 9, 2018 at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. The Hawkeyes won the match 3-0.

Pete Mills, Sports Reporter

Big Ten volleyball has no shortage of aggressive teams, and the Hawkeye squad is ready to face them with clean defense.

The nonconference slate has dealt the Hawkeyes with strong offensive competition. The squad has risen to the challenge; it has posted 16.05 digs per set this season, second in the Big Ten.

The defenses on the other side of the net have posted 14.76 digs per set. The difference is huge because it keeps the Hawkeyes alive in points and gives them a fighting chance. 

RELATED: By the numbers: Iowa volleyball’s winning streak

That defense cannot be accomplished without veteran players who know how to prolong points, and senior defensive specialist Molly Kelly’s four years of experience has certainly made her an asset.

In her first year as the team’s libero, Kelly has experienced a steep learning curve. The first few weeks of the season were tough for Kelly, but her attitude and grit have led to effectiveness.

Head coach Bond Shymansky admitted that he was concerned about her effectiveness as libero after a tough first few weeks, but he has seen vast improvement.

“She’s everything that an Iowa kid is,” he said. “Just works hard, gritty, tough. Just willing to put in the extra time and effort. Just has a great attitude. She’s a player who is definitely on our team mission, we talk about true mental toughness. So watch her improve week after week after week.”

Statistically, she has been outstanding as well. Her 5.19 digs per set put her second in the Big Ten. Kelly leads the team in digs with 218.

“Defensive effort is definitely a team thing, but it first comes from the coaching staff and preparing us,” Kelly said. “We do a really great job of watching a ton of video before we play any team, so we’re prepared, and we know what defense we need to be in. From there, it’s just a mindset.”

The team knows, though, that the fierceness of the competition will change in the coming weeks. The growth that they have experienced will help them fight against contentious offensive play.

Younger members of the squad have had success, as well. Sophomore Brie Orr is contributing defensively, ranking second on the team in digs (113) and third in blocks (28).

They are taking none of this for granted and are taking notice of their hard-earned numbers.

“We’ve had some really good competition in preseason that is preparing us [for] tougher teams in the Big Ten,” Orr said. “So we’re kind of taking it day-by-day, knowing what we need to do on our side of the net.”

As Iowa gets ready for Michigan State this week, it wants to capitalize against a team of all first-year starters. Though young, the Spartans are certainly aggressive.

The defensive side has grown almost unbelievably since the start of the year. But there is still work to be done, and the Hawkeyes need to capitalize on their effort. 

RELATED: Iowa volleyball continues hot streak, beats Cyclones