Dance Marathon hopes to ‘Shape Your Impact’ in Big Event

Dance Marathon announces their new campaign to challenge DM 25 goers to get involved in ‘Shape Your Impact’ campaign.

James Year

Dancers participate during the Power Hour at Dance Marathon at the IMU on Saturday, Feb. 3, 2018.

Alexandra Skores, News Reporter

The University of Iowa Dance Marathon 25 team announced that from now until the Big Event in February, everyone from dancers to the executive team will take part in a campaign called “Shape Your Impact.”

“For a nonprofit organization, a campaign is designed to work in an organized and active way toward a particular goal and mindset,” the Dance Marathon website said. “… We are taking the idea of a campaign and using it to make sure that our 25th anniversary will not only stand out but leave a lasting impression with every single person that our community impacts.”

The group’s mission statement says it wants to use inclusiveness, optimism, and courage in order to challenge traditional values in the organization. Dance Marathon 25 hopes to fill the hearts of the children and families through individual and communal impact.

Dance Marathon has never, in 24 years, begun a campaign in order to engage the dancers and staff. No matter how big or small an influence, the participants will be encouraged to shape their effect and make the most out of their experience.

“We have never done a campaign within [Dance Marathon] before, so this is really exciting for all of us,” Executive Director Charlie Ellis said. “We wanted everyone to realize that what they can do, can really change a life. We want everyone to feel like they can get involved, whether it’s volunteering, dancing, or donating.”

He stressed the importance of getting dancers involved in every aspect of Dance Marathon rather than only the Big Event. Organization leadership will highlight numerous events on campus, including fundraisers and community days, to ensure participants are fully engaged in all that Dance Marathon has to offer.

“‘Shape Your Impact’ will help us [morale captains] reach out to our dancers and make sure they know their importance in our organization so that each person can make the biggest impact possible,” morale captain Reilly Flair said.

Morale captains and lime captains will be encouraged to stress the importance of “Shape Your Impact” to all of their dancers in their small groups. In turn, the goal is to create a sense of community in the small groups tailored to each individual in Dance Marathon 25.

“I am very excited for this year,” returning dancer Kayla Oloffson said. “Last year, I wasn’t as involved as I thought I would be. This year, I definitely will work more with the families as a family representative. This event will help us gain more opportunity for those that aren’t involved in Dance Marathon and, in turn, help us create a better future for the kids.”

The campaign will focus on  getting Dance Marathon participants to engage and get others outside of Dance Marathon involved in community days, raising funds and formulating their personal story.

“However their impact may look, they can shape it beyond belief,” Ellis said. “No matter what shape it may be, we want you to shape your impact harder than before.”