Dance Marathon recognizes contributors’ efforts ‘For The Kids’

Ahead of Power Hour, UI officials honor Dance Marathon participants with awards for their many contributions leading up to the Big Event.

Mary Peterson presents awards for biggest individual fundraising efforts during UI Dance Marathon 24 inside the IMU on Saturday, Feb. 3, 2018. (Ben Allan Smith/The Daily Iowan)

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Al

The Daily Iowan; Photo by Ben Al

Marissa Payne, [email protected]

All across the country and the campus, Dance Marathon is “For the Kids.”

University of Iowa President Bruce Harreld kicked off the Dance Marathon 24 awards ceremony to recognize students’ contributions to children with pediatric cancer while standing alongside his wife and with his grandchildren joining on FaceTime from California.

“That’s what life is all about,” he said. “Hawkeyes take care of Hawkeyes.”

Before the final family speaker and ahead of Power Hour, Dance Marathon brought out UI officials to announce the recipients of the Lisa Baum/Laura Wenman Award, the Mary Peterson Award, Chris Metzger Award, and the UI Center for Advancement “Phil”anthropist Award.

Nellie Hermanson, associate director of Campus Programs and Student Activities in the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership, presented the Chris Metzger Award, which honors the highest fundraising student organization. Metzger was the UI’s first executive director of Dance Marathon in 1994.

The award was given to Medicus, which provides experience to students in the medical field.

Mary Peterson presented the next award, named after herself. Peterson served as the associate director of what was initially Center for Human Activities and is now known as the Center of Student Involvement and Leadership, and was once on Dance Marathon’s Executive Council.

Peterson’s award recognizes the top fundraising greek chapter, and this year, Chi Omega received the award.

“That future of hope is what you’ve done today,” Peterson said. “That hope is to have this event grow larger and larger while keeping traditions.”

Another award to recognize financial contributions to Dance Marathon was the Young “Phil”anthropist award, which honors the highest fundraising leadership team member.

Sheila Baldwin, vice president of Health Sciences Development at the UI Center for Advancement, presented the award to UI junior Olivia Gunn. The student raised $10,721 this year alone, $19,721 during her three years of involvement.

“You truly are philanthropists,” Baldwin said. “You have understood the power of coming together, putting your energy, and your talents, and your fundraising ability together and making a huge difference.”

Along with Peterson, two women have significantly contributed to Dance Marathon. The Lisa Baum/Laura Wenman Award, which honors the top individual dancer, is named after those individuals. UI student Emma Deighan won the award this year.

IMU Executive Director Bill Nelson said the staff at Center of Student Involvement and Leadership is proud of the students and all that they do “For the Kids.”

Marissa Payne, Managing Editor

Email: [email protected]

Twitter: @marissa42_

Marissa Payne is the Managing Editor of The Daily Iowan. She started working at the DI her...

• Dance Marathon recognizes contributors’ efforts ‘For The Kids’

Dance Marathon

Dance Marathon 25 endows $2.2 million to child life specialist

Dance Marathon 25 increases sustainability efforts for Big Event

Dance Marathon

Dance Marathon hopes to ‘Shape Your Impact’ in Big Event

University of Iowa Dance Marathon goes green to increase sustainability efforts

Dance Marathon

Film: Dance Marathon impact on five year cancer free graduate

Dance Marathon

Dance Marathon celebrates 17 graduates

Dance Marathon

Video: Dance Marathon 24 Highlights

Dance Marathon

Dance Marathon play-by-play: breaking records and making history

Dance Marathon

Dance Marathon 24 shatters fundraising records, raising more than $3 million

Dance Marathon

Dance Marathon pops off for an electric finale