Yellow Cab releases statement on deceased driver Ricky Ray Lillie

Ricky Ray Lillie, Iowa City resident and Yellow Cab driver, was found dead in his taxi early Wednesday morning. His taxi badge was released with a press release by Yellow Cab of Iowa City Thursday afternoon.

UPDATE 3:16 p.m.: Person-of-interest identified in suspected homicide

Homicide-victim and former Iowa City taxi driver Ricky Ray Lillie was “well-liked,” according to a press release from Yellow Cab of Iowa City.

“Rick was an experienced driver who was friendly to his passengers, supportive of his coworkers, and well-liked in our company,” the release said. “He conducted himself with great professionalism and enjoyed his work.

“A nicer, more genuine guy cannot be found. His loss under these circumstances has left a large void in our company that we are only beginning to address.”

Lillie was found dead in the front seat of a cab on the 500 block of Ernest Street in the early hours of June 28.

RELATED: Homicide suspected in death

Police were dispatched to the Alexis Park Inn, 1165 S. Riverside Drive, after another Yellow Cab driver found Lillie slumped over in the driver’s seat when checking on him.

The Daily Iowan reached Roger Larson of A OK Partners Taxi and Limo, another local taxi company, for comment. Larson said he has not been active in Iowa City for some time, but has done business in town in the past.

“Taxi driving is perhaps more dangerous than what you might think,” Larson said. “I have some struggles with it because I was pretty much alone for a while doing it and a huge target. If you’re teamed up with a company and other cab drivers and a dispatcher, it’s safer.”

Yellow Cab said in the release that services for Lillie will be announced on the Yellow Cab Facebook page when determined.

“Our business goes on, and we strive to continue to provide the same professional service as always,” Yellow Cab said in the release. “Please remember, however, that Rick’s loss has affected us staff-wide, and for a period of time, we might not seem like our normal selves. We are upset. The circumstances are hard to process fully at this time. We will move forward and begin to heal.”

Anyone with information pertaining to the Iowa City police investigation is urged to contact them directly at (319) 356-6800. Anonymous tips may also be called in to Iowa City Crime Stoppers at 319-358-TIPS (8477).

The Daily Iowan will update this story as it develops.

The Yellow Cab of Iowa City’s facility is seen on June 28. Iowa City resident Ricky Ray Lillie was found in his Yellow Cab taxi after a call by another driver at 3:42 a.m. June 28. (Joseph Cress/The Daily Iowan)