Police release photo of person of interest in cab-driver homicide

Police have released a photo of a person of interest in the “suspicious death” of cabbie. “The way it sounds, my other driver is slumped over in the passenger seat, and he’s got a leg up on the dash.” The Iowa City police have released the audio from the 911 call associated with the homicide investigation.
A person-of-interest was released by the Iowa City Police Department regarding the investigation of a suspected homicide, which occurred early Wednesday morning.
Iowa City police released a photo of a person of interest in the investigation of a homicide early on June 28.

The Iowa City police seek help in identifying a person of interest in the investigation into the death of Yellow Cab driver Ricky Ray Lillie.

Before 4 a.m. June 28, Lillie was found dead in his vehicle in the 500 block of Ernest Street. Authorities are investigating his death as a homicide.

Police have released a 911 call associated with the incident “in consideration of [an] inquiry pursuant to an open records request,” according to a June 29 press release from the city of Iowa City. “Although unusual, the release has been approved because, in this specific case, the release of the recording in no way compromises or negatively impacts the ongoing investigation. The call has been edited to remove names.”

Read below for The Daily Iowan’s transcript of the call between the Johnson County dispatch and the unnamed caller:

June 28 2017, 3:42:36 a.m.
Dispatch: “Johnson County dispatch.”

Caller: “I have a driver I need checked on real quick. I have another driver over there trying to check on him. And he said that our driver is slumped over into the other seat.”

Dispatch: “What’s the address?”

Caller: “It looks like he’s over by Alexis Park Inn.”

Dispatch: “In the parking lot or on Riverside?”

Caller: “The parking lot, I’m guessing. My other driver is right there in the cab with him.”

Dispatch: “So are there two Yellow Cabs?”

Caller: “Yes.”

Caller: “I thought my driver was taking a nap.”

Dispatch: “Does know, I mean, does he need an ambulance? Does he think he’s …”

Caller: “The way it sounds, my driver said that my other driver is slumped over in the passenger seat, and he’s got a leg up on the dash.”

Dispatch: “OK. But he isn’t able to check on him or see if he can wake him up?”

Caller: “He said he’s scared to touch him … He’s honked on the horn and tried to wake him up that way and like yelled at him, but he said he’s scared to touch him in case it’s something medical.”

RELATED: Yellow Cab releases statement on deceased driver

The Daily Iowan will update this story as it develops.