Sports Brief: Jok makes Jerry West list

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep
Iowa guard Peter Jok walks towards the bench during the Savannah State vs Iowa game on Sunday, November 13, 2016 in Carver Hawkeye Arena. The Hawkeyes defeated the Tigers 116-84. (The Daily Iowan/ Alex Kroeze)

After being snubbed on the midseason watch list, Iowa senior shooting guard Peter Jok was named one of 10 finalists for the Jerry West Award, given each of the past two years to the best shooting guard in the country.

“As one of the best shooting guards to ever play the game, Jerry West’s drive for perfection is what set him apart,” John Doleva, the president and CEO of the Basketball Hall of Fame, said in a release. “With their unwavering dedication to the game, these 10 finalists have set themselves apart from this year’s competition as well.”

Even after going through a bit of a scoring slump in the past couple weeks, Jok remains the Big Ten’s leading scorer at 21 points per game.

That average is good for fourth-best among all Power 5 scorers. He also leads the Big Ten and is third in Power 5 in free-throw percentage (91.5 percent).

Jok has been out of the Iowa lineup for a little more than a week now, dealing with a back injury. Whether he can come back at 100 percent could go a long way toward knowing if he can make the cut when the Jerry West Award finalist list moves from 10 to five.

The other nine players on the list are Jacob Evans (Cincinnati), Marcus Foster (Creighton), Luke Kennard (Duke), Jordan Mathews (Gonzaga), James Blackmon Jr. (Indiana), Devonte’ Graham (Kansas), Malik Monk (Kentucky), Steve Vasturia (Notre Dame), and Bryce Alford (UCLA).

— by Blake Dowson