Men, women sweep in hoops

Iowa guard Peter Jok shoots the ball during the first game of The Hy-Vee Classic with Iowa and UNI in Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines on Saturday, Dec. 17, 2016. The Hawkeyes defeated the Panthers, 69-46. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

In a night full of action in Carver-Hawkeye (and a noticeable absence of action shen the final horn buzzed after the men’s game), the Iowa men’s and women’s basketball teams notched two victories before the holiday break.

The women beat up Kent State, winning, 83-48, to improve to 9-4 this season. Megan Gustafson and Ally Disterhoft once again led the way for the Hawkeyes, Gustafson pouring in 20 points and Disterhoft adding 18. Freshman Makenzie Meyer scored 12 as well.

The women’s next contest will be on Dec. 28, when it opens Big Ten play against Illinois in Champaign.

The men’s team put down pesky North Dakota, 84-73, to improve to 7-5. Jordan Bohannon and Peter Jok led the Hawkeyes in scoring, each knocking down 18 points.

The Hawkeyes enjoyed balanced scoring after that, with Nicholas Baer, Cordell Pemsl, Brady Ellingson, Ahmad Wagner, and Isaiah Moss scoring 8 to 10 points.

The controversy came after the game, with Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery waving his team away from the handshake line.

Throughout the game, North Dakota played rather rough, and with time leaking away and Baer holding the ball to run out the clock, a North Dakota player ripped the ball out of his hands to try to beat the buzzer. At that point, North Dakota was down 11 points.

Iowa’s next contest will be against Delaware State on Dec. 22, its last game before Big Ten play starts against Purdue on Dec. 28.

— by Blake Dowson