Football Brief: Big Ten honors football Hawkeyes

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep
Iowa defensive lineman Jaleel Johnson gets a safety on Michigan running back De’Veon Smith during the game between Michigan and Iowa at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, November 12, 2016. Iowa kicker Keith Duncan nailed a 33 yard field goal as the time ran out to beat the No. 2 Wolverines 14-13. (The Daily Iowan/ Alex Kroeze)

Senior defensive back Desmond King and senior defensive tackle Jaleel Johnson were named first-team All-Big Ten by the league coaches.

King was also named first team by the media, and Johnson was named second-team.

Junior linebacker Josey Jewell, who led the conference in tackles, was named second-team by both thecoaches and media.

King recorded 53 tackles and 7 pass break ups while also collecting 2 interceptions. King has 13 career interceptions to tie for fourth on Iowa’s career list.

Johnson led Iowa with 7.5 sacks and 10 tackles for loss. Johnson finished the regular season with 54 tackles.

Jewell’s 114 tackles tied for the Big Ten lead, and he also led Iowa with 8 pass break-ups. Jewell recorded 10 tackles or more in six of 12 games while leading the team in tackles for the second-straight season.

Hawkeye defensive players who earned honorable-mention recognition include sophomore Parker Hesse, senior cornerback Greg Mabin, and junior Nathan Bazata.

Mabin, who missed the final three games of the season because of injury, earned Big Ten recognition for the first time in his career. He started 33 games in his career, including 29 straight. He collected 37 tackles, 3 pass break-ups, and 1 forced fumble in nine games this season.

Hesse recorded 33 tackles in 11 games, missing the Iowa State game because of injury. He also had 7.5 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks, 2 pass break-ups, and 1 forced and 1 recovered fumble.

Senior starting running back LeShun Daniels Jr. earned Iowa’s Sportsmanship Award. He led Iowa in rushing and has scored 10 rushing touchdowns. He is also the first Hawkeye to surpass 1,000 rushing yards in a season since 2011.

— by Mario Williams