Men’s hoops slips

Iowa Hawkeyes forward Nicholas Baer (51) dunks the ball against the Villanova Wildcats in the Barclays Center on Sunday, March 20, 2016 in Brooklyn, New York. Baer finished the game with 4 rebounds, 15 points, and 2 steals. The Wildcats defeated the Hawkeyes, 87-68. (The Daily Iowan/Joshua Housing)

By Adam Hensley

Nov. 20 — 95-67 win over Texas Rio Grande Valley

Iowa flashed some balanced scoring on Nov. 20, defeating Texas Rio Grande Valley, 95-67.

Once again, Jok led the team in scoring with 27 (in only 19 minutes), but help off the bench was a driving factor.

Isaiah Moss scored a career-high 14 points off the bench, catching the eyes of his coaches and teammates.

“He’s a bucket getter,” Nicholas Baer said in a release.

Nov. 25 — 74-41 loss to No. 7 Virginia

The Cavaliers demolished Iowa, 74-41, in a utterly one-sided affair.

The Hawkeyes’ offense only managed a 31.3-percent shooting and turned the ball over 18 times. Iowa finished 6-of-23 from beyond the arc.

McCaffery praised the Cavaliers, mainly for their suffocating defense.

“I think they really compete,” he said in a release. “They are a great example of five guys playing as one.”

Jok, the only Hawkeye to score in double figures, scored 13 points in the loss.

Iowa’s bench, which averaged 40 points a game entering the tournament, scored only 9 points (tying a season low set against Seton Hall).

Nov. 26 — 100-92 loss to Memphis

In a game that featured little defense, Memphis defeated Iowa 100-92 in the third-place game of the Emerald Coast Classic.

Peter Jok was unstoppable against the Tigers, scoring a career-high 42 points in the Florida shootout.

Jok connected on 8 3-pointers — one more and he would have owned the school record in a single game — and became a member of Iowa’s 1,000-point club in the first half.

Tyler Cook scored 17 points and grabbing 7 rebounds.

Iowa’s defense in the paint was lackluster, allowing 54 points.

Hawkeye head coach Fran McCaffery stressed that while Jok had a hot shooting night, an all-around team effort was needed to win.

“It’s a shame when you have a guy play that well and you can’t ride that to victory,” he said in a release.