Pregame musings: Iowa vs. No. 17 Nebraska

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep
Iowa waits to take the field before the game between Michigan and Iowa at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, November 12, 2016. Iowa kicker Keith Duncan nailed a 33 yard field goal as the time ran out to beat the No. 2 Wolverines 14-13. (The Daily Iowan/ Alex Kroeze)

By DI Staff (Jordan Hansen & Blake Dowson)

It’s honestly kind of hard believe this is the last home game. Perhaps even the last home game I’ll ever cover here — a scary thought.

It also happens to be Senior Day. Now the ceremonies and such are for the football team, of course, but it also feels something like a goodbye for me as well. And it’s rather sad. I’m having flashbacks to my freshman year right now.

We got a chance to run onto the field before school started, as part of the OnIowa Orientation program. I thought I’d never have a chance to set foot on the turf again. I didn’t really have much of an inkling that I’d end up getting a chance to cover the Iowa football team.

But then, at the end of my sophomore year, I got my first chance. The AP needed some help with getting quotes after the game. I obliged. It was, perhaps, one of the great moments of my life.

Since then, I’ve had a chance to be in around Kinnick and see everything that goes on behind for the scenes for much of the last two years. Again, it’s hard to describe how incredibly enjoyable that’s been. So now, I sit here reminiscing about all these moments, all these memories.

I’m going to miss it, terribly. Kinnick Stadium is a wonderful place.

Enough about me, however. There’s a football game to play. Iowa gets a somewhat confusing Nebraska team. The Cornhuskers are 9-2 but don’t really have a quality win. It’s two losses have come to Ohio State (62-3) and Wisconsin (23-17). It’s best win is over Minnesota, or maybe Indiana. Yeah.

The Cornhuskers are also rolling out an injured Tommy Armstrong Jr., who is nursing a hamstring problem. For a quarterback who isn’t afraid to tuck the ball and run it, there’s no doubt whether that’s a huge loss. But Nebraska still has weapons and will give Iowa a lot to handle in this game.

So make yourself some leftover turkey, put it on a sandwich and tune into ABC. There’s a football game about to go down.

— Jordan Hansen

PREDICTION TIME

Jordan —

Have a feeling Iowa wins today.

Beathard hasn’t had a really special game yet this season and I think that changes today. Iowa’s running game seems like it’s back on track after a midseason swoon and it’s defense is playing to the level it was last season.

That’s not a bad combination. Also, my gut says the Hawkeyes will win today. My gut also said something weird was going to happen in the Iowa-Michigan game. Going with my gut today.

Iowa 27, Nebraska 20

Blake —

The Hawkeyes have a chance to salvage their season and turn it into a January trip to a California bowl game. That doesn’t sound too bad after where the team and fan base was at after the Penn State loss.

The health of the Husker quarterbacks will be key to the game. If Tommy Armstrong can’t create with his feet, he becomes a lot less effective. Last season when he was forced to throw, it wasn’t pretty. But this game, in this weather, will likely be won on the ground. The Hawkeyes have been rolling in that area lately.

Prediction:  Iowa 27, Nebraska 24 

PLAYER TO WATCH:

Jordan — Josey Jewell, Iowa linebacker

Outside of Desmond King, Jewell is probably the best player on the Iowa defense. He certainly is the most productive. The Hawkeyes have a done a complete 180 over its last two games, allowing just 13 points combined. It will need to do more of the same today against Nebraska if it’s going to have a shot to win.

Blake — George Kittle, Iowa tight end

Kittle is back playing after a two-week hiatus. His blocking ability and big-play ability make him one of the biggest threats Iowa has, if he’s 100 percent healthy. That will be the question today. If he’s full-go, Iowa has a good shot at pulling the upset.