Men’s hoops gets shellacked

Iowa guard Peter Jok shoots the ball over Nebraska guard Tai Webster during the Iowa-Nebraska game in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Tuesday, Jan. 5, 2016. The Hawkeyes defeated the Cornhuskers, 77-66. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

By Adam Hensley

Iowa basketball did not fare as well as its football team did earlier today. The Hawkeyes were on the other end of a brutal beat-down, losing, 74-41, against No. 7 Virginia in the Emerald Coast Classic.

Peter Jok led the Hawkeyes in scoring once again, netting 13 points in the 33-point loss in Florida. No other players scored in double figures for Iowa.

Dom Uhl scored 9 points. Freshmen Tyler Cook and Jordan Bohannon each contributed 6.

The Hawkeyes shot an abysmal 26 percent from beyond the 3-point line, dished out only 8 assists, and committed 18 turnovers.

The Cavaliers only committed 5 turnovers while making 48-percent of their shots, including 8-of-17 3-pointers. Four players scored 10 points or more for Virginia. Jarred Reuter led all scorers with 14.

Iowa will play either Providence or Memphis — whichever team loses in their matchup. Tip-off for Iowa’s contest against the loser of the previous matchup begins at 3 p.m. Nov. 26.