Artists to show off work during Spring Art Exposé

Contributed.
Contributed.

Art can draw from an unending palettte of sights and textures to color our emotions. Artists use tempered talents to express thoughts and truths unrestrained by the limitations of spoken syllables.

On Saturday and April 10, 70 artists from across the country and numerous art forms will converge, coming with creations in tow to set up shop in the IMU for the Spring Art Exposé. The first day of the event will, fromnoon to 3 p.m., include a wine and craft-beer tasting.

“[The event] is extremely well-planned; there’s a warm feeling to it,” said Doug Adams, a sculptor and veteran event vendor.

Organized by the University of Iowa Fine Arts Council, the event allows artists to feature and sell their art.

This year, the event will not only house the work of typical art vendors but also allow a few art students to display their work.

“Normally around this time, students have something called Arts Fest,” said Annalise Castro, who is in charge of the event’s marketing. “That’s not happening this year because of the transition from the Studio Arts Building to the new arts building. So we thought we’d give about 10 or 15 student artists a chance to display their work.”

Even with the inclusion of student artists, the focus remains on art available for purchase.

Josh Meier found his way to the Exposé in 2012 after customers, who saw his photographs while buying from him at the Farmers’ Market, suggested he look into getting involved.

“I always loved photography,” Meier said. “When I was a little kid on vacation with family, I’d always have a camera with me. Anytime I’m out and about, [I still] have my camera with me.”

Whether capturing eastern Iowa landscapes or sun-licked cacti during trips to California, Meier roots his photographs in nature.

Adams is similarly grounded in his sculptures. Using twisted aluminum and copper wire, he depicts trees that wouldn’t look out of sorts as the setting of a Claymation film.

“I started right out of college when my brother and I created a piece based on trees we’d seen in the Mediterranean that had the look of being constantly blown over by the wind,” Adams said.

After spending a number of years making trees, he got involved in making furniture, eventually fusing the two.

“My most recent piece was a real challenge,” he said. “This Art Exposé will be the first time anyone will have seen what I call ‘The Forest.’ It’s the image of trees on a curved piece of walnut with an arch above it and the roots extending down beneath it.”

The time and care demanded by art often leads to artists’ personalities leaking into their work.

“Through the years, I guess I’m proud to see how I’ve progressed, particularly in the technical aspect,” Meier said. “I don’t have a particular favorite; they all tell a story, and it’s all my story.”

Spring Art Exposé (Riverbank Art Fair)
When: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday
10 a.m.-4 p.m. April 10
Where: IMU
Admission: Free