Man who threw tomatoes at Donald Trump to pay fine

A protester raises a sign against Donald Trump at the University Field House before Trump came out to speak on Tuesday, Jan 26, 2016. Through out the event multiple people were escorted out for protesting against Donald Trump’s campaign. (The Daily Iowan/Jordan Gale)

Tom Ackerman

Andrew Alemao, the man who threw tomatoes at Donald Trump at a rally in the University of Iowa Field House in January, faces a $65 fine after pleading guilty to disorderly conduct.

Alemao will not serve any time in jail.

Alemao was arrested by University of Iowa Police and United States Secret Service officers at a rally for Trump on Jan. 26 and, because of the guilty plea, will not have a trial.

For a misdemeanor charge, the maximum punishment possible for disorderly conduct is 30 days in jail or a $625 fine, police say, though the state will not be pursuing assault charges.

RELATED: Man arrested for throwing tomatoes at Donald Trump in Iowa City

The fine comes under a plea agreement Monday after the case received a large amount of attention online among supporters of Alemao and those who criticized him, too.

Trump, who has said he will pay the legal fees for any of his supporters charged with assault for beating up protesters against him, referred to the incident in a negative light at an event in Cedar Rapids on Caucus Day.

Supporters set up a GoFundMe page for Alemao to help with legal costs, but the page violated the site’s standards, so the money was instead donated to charity.

At the Cedar Rapids event, Trump said he would “knock the crap” out of anyone with a tomato.