Q&A | Get to know Iowa thrower Jordan Johnson

Johnson spoke on childhood memories and funniest teammates with The Daily Iowan.
Iowa’s Jordan Johnson throws a shot-put during the Hawkeye Invitational at the University of Iowa Recreation Building in Iowa City on Saturday, Jan. 14, 2023. Johnson’s best throw went 17.46 meters. The Hawkeye Invitational hosted Ball State, Bradley, Indian Hills, Iowa, Iowa Central, Missouri, Northern Iowa, Western Illinois, Wis.-River Falls, and unattached individuals.

The Daily Iowan: What’s your favorite place to eat in Iowa City?

Jordan Johnson: Estella’s. No hesitation.

What was your first job?

It was actually here. I was working at the [Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex] at the front desk.

How did you get into that?

A couple of my teammates were working at recreation facilities and the Field House, so I tried to work there. They needed people at the HTRC, so I got sent there.

Do you have a favorite childhood memory?

I don’t know — I think just those summer days with the whole family together doing whatever it might be. There’s nothing I can pinpoint specifically.

Is how you define success different today than it was when you were younger?

I just define it as getting better every day. Whether it is just fixing something technically or you actually do throw farther, any small improvement is a way that you can get better. I guess that is different from me in high school where I thought success is if you win.

What’s one thing that can instantly make your day better?

For me, it’s usually coming to practice and hanging out with all of my friends here — either that or talking to my girlfriend in the morning.

Who on the team never fails to make you laugh?

I’ve got so many people from past years that were like that. This year, I would say Austin Busch. He’s always got something to say.

Do you prefer music or podcasts?

I prefer music. I grew up with music. My mom was a music teacher, and my sister is in music education right now. I’ve been surrounded by it my whole life, so music all the way.