Iowa men’s basketball senior Filip Rebraca leaving his mark on the Hawkeyes

The North Dakota transfer stepped up in his final season in Iowa City.

Matt Sindt

Iowa forward Filip Rebraca jumps for an opening during a men’s basketball game between Iowa and Michigan State at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa City on Saturday, Feb. 25, 2023. The Hawkeyes defeated the Spartans, 112-106. Rebraca scored 18 points and 5 assists.

Grant Hall, Sports Reporter

Iowa men’s basketball center Filip Rebraca has stepped up throughout the 2022-23 slate. The fifth-year senior has posted nine double-doubles this year.

The Serbia native has looked dominant at times this season. Rebraca has posted a stellar stat line of 13.9 points and 7.6 boards per game and started all 29 contests in the middle.

At a media availability session on Friday, Rebraca said he feels he proved himself on the biggest stage.

“You always feel like you can do more, looking back at things, but I certainly don’t have any regrets,” Rebraca said. “I feel like I’ve proven that I’m a high-level Power Five player.”

A season ago, Rebraca faced scrutiny for his defensive struggles and lack of an offensive bag after transferring into the program from North Dakota. This year, however, he’s looked like an entirely different player, showcasing aggression and confidence in the post.

“It was a mental thing last year — it’s not always a physical thing,” Rebraca said. “I always felt like I was a pretty physical player, but when I was tested, it was mentally. Last year wasn’t easy on me. I took a lot of criticism, and I was my own worst critic. I worked on myself, and I made a big jump mentally.”

Rebraca has silenced many of the critics, as he has taken over games with scoring outbursts similar to former Hawkeye Luka Garza. He also has improved his defensive rotation off the ball on several occasions.

Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery said his senior big man’s leadership in the locker room is an underrated facet of his value to the program.

“He’s everything we hoped he would be [coming from North Dakota],” McCaffery said. “He’s a phenomenal teammate, an incredible worker, and a winner. He’s great in the locker room. He’s speaking up more this year … He just keeps getting better.”

Perhaps the most impressive aspect of Rebraca’s ascension this season is the switch he flipped when Iowa required it most. When the Hawkeyes struggled through a tough stretch in December 2022 with top scorer Kris Murray absent because of injury, Rebraca became the No. 1 scoring option Fran McCaffery and Co. desperately needed.

With Murray sidelined for four games, Rebraca posted averages of 21.5 points and nine rebounds per contest on 77.3 percent shooting. The 6-foot-9 center tallied a 22-point double-double in a rivalry win over Iowa State on Dec. 8, 2022, then dropped a career-high 30 points against Southeast Missouri State on Dec. 17, 2022.

The confidence he gained through that stretch continued after Murray’s return. Rebraca battled former first-team All-American Trayce Jackson-Davis to the tune of 19 points and 10 boards in a two-point Iowa victory on Jan. 5.

Rebraca hopes to be remembered as a player with effort and passion by Iowa fans.

“I know it’s not over yet, but I just want to be remembered as a Big Ten champion,” Rebraca said. “I want to be remembered as someone who gave my all for this team, for this university, and for my teammates. I hope people down the road remember me for that.”