Opinion | Progressive policy would save Democrats

Democrats are their own worst enemy.

President+Joe+Biden+speaks+during+a+visit+at+the+POET+Bioprocessing+ethanol+plant+in+Menlo%2C+Iowa%2C+on+Tuesday%2C+April+12%2C+2022.+

President Joe Biden speaks during a visit at the POET Bioprocessing ethanol plant in Menlo, Iowa, on Tuesday, April 12, 2022.

Evan Weidl, Opinions Columnist

The Democratic party’s weakness has become evident to American voters, and the 2022 midterm elections are likely going to reflect that.

According to FiveThirtyEight, while the Senate is in a dead heat, Republicans have a 75 percent chance of reclaiming the House of Representatives in the upcoming midterm elections.

If the Democrats want to start consistently winning elections on every level of government, they must revamp the way they utilize messaging and start fighting harder for good policy.

Weak, insufficient policy has plagued the Democratic Party for years. Even when they have the opportunity to pass major legislation, it is never without the burden of their own party members.

President Joe Biden’s proposed Build Back Better plan included policies like universal pre-K and expanded healthcare access, both of which are extremely popular policies.

However, Sen. Joe Manchin of West Virginia single-handedly killed the bill, saying he “tried everything humanly possible” to support the bill.

In that statement lies a major weakness of the Democratic Party-giving up easily, and then saying they did everything they could, but it was just not possible.

This past summer, the Biden Administration found significant policy success, including the passing of the Inflation Reduction Act and the lowest unemployment rate in 50 years. As a result, his approval rating was given a much-needed boost.

Poor messaging has also contributed to Democratic losses in elections. According to University of Southern California Center for Political future Co-director Mike Murphy, the Democrats are being burdened by the ideological division within their party.

It is not just the lack of support for popular policy that is hurting the Democrats at the ballot box; it is the party’s deliberate effort to shut down some candidates who support popular policy.

Rep. Henry Cuellar of Texas is the lone Democrat in the House of Representatives who does not support abortion rights and holds conservative positions on issues like immigration and gun control. Yet, in a year when abortion rights are the most hotly contested, they’ve been in decades, the party chose Cuellar over his primary challenger who supports abortion rights.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called Cuellar a “valued member of our caucus.” Cuellar also has the support of House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn of South Caroline and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer of Maryland.

Sixty-one percent of Americans say that abortion should be legal in all or most cases. If the party’s leaders keep propping up lawmakers who don’t support popular policy, their reputation as a party will only worsen and have serious consequences on their electability.

It’s not rocket science. Popular policy and good messaging will win you elections. Yet, it’s a lesson the Democrats have struggled with for decades. If they want to consistently hold control of all levels of government, they must foundationally change their policies and messaging.