Shannyn Vogler, Paula Miranda making impact for Iowa women’s golf

The Hawkeyes tied for 10th earlier this week at the Badger Invitational — their second event of the season. Freshman Shannyn Vogler finished tied for 16th individually and played her best golf of the season.

Gabby Drees

Paula Miranda practices her putt at Finkbine Golf Course on Thursday, Sept. 16, 2021.

Dawson Moore, Sports Reporter

The Iowa women’s golf team tied for 10th of 13 teams at the Badger Invitational in Verona, Wisconsin, earlier this week from Sept. 18-20. 

The Hawkeyes improved from a 15th-place finish at the Dick McGuire Invitational — their first tournament of the season — while boasting a top-20 finisher for the first time this fall.

Highly-touted freshman Shannyn Vogler shot a three-round total of 3-over-par 219 and tied for 16th individually. Vogler bounced back from a 16-over-par performance in her first collegiate event at the Dick McGuire Invitational. 

Vogler, from Moline, Illinois, has played in both regional and national youth events and has seen that experience help her in her first few college tournaments. 

“I think I’ve had a lot of good experience playing competitive tournaments, like the [U.S. Women’s Amateur] and the [U.S. Girls’ Junior] girls’ juniors,” Vogler told The Daily Iowan. “And then my other junior tournaments, and even high school golf, I think all prepared me. I honestly don’t feel as though it’s much different and playing some similar people. It’s just that sometimes the scores are going to have to be better out here.” 

In Verona, Vogler collected eight birdies — two in round one and three apiece in the second and third rounds.

“This tournament, my putting was a lot better,” Vogler said. “I had a lot more birdies and I think that mainly contributed to the lower scores.”

Vogler finished with nine bogeys over the three days and made her lone double bogey on her 11th hole of the final round.

“I would say, making more greens in regulation will help the scores go down,” Vogler said. “If I have fewer chips, then I’ll end up having fewer putts if I get closer to the pin.”

Hawkeye sophomore Paula Miranda slipped back from her top-25 finish in Albuquerque, as the Puebla, Mexico, native shot a 9-over-par total in Wisconsin, which was tied for 37th.

Miranda opened with a solid 1-over-par round but followed with scores of 3-over-par 75 on day two and 5-over-par 77 on day three. 

Her final round included a double bogey and a quadruple bogey on the par-3 17th hole. 

“It wasn’t my best performance individually,” Miranda told *The Daily Iowan*. “I had a good day and then I struggled a bit the last two rounds. I had a couple of bad holes, but I was able to keep myself together and finished with a decent score at the end.” 

Vogler and Miranda will both be back in action in two weeks, as Iowa will travel to Highlands Ranch, Colorado, to compete in the Ron Moore Women’s Intercollegiate Oct. 7-9.  

Miranda turned in her best performance as a Hawkeye at last season’s Ron Moore Intercollegiate. Her three-round total of 4-under-par 212 was good for a tie for second place individually. 

Miranda was the lone Hawkeye to finish a tournament below par last season and owned the Hawkeyes’ three-best 18-hole scores last season.