Iowa track and field’s Jenoah McKiver aiming for outdoor national title

The two-time All-American is pursuing an outdoor NCAA Championship after posting the second-fastest 400-meter time in the world last week.

Iowa%E2%80%99s+Jenoah+McKiver+runs+in+a+race+during+the+2022+Hawkeye+Invitational+track+and+field+meet+at+the+University+of+Iowa+Recreation+Building+on+Saturday%2C+Jan.+15%2C+2022.+The+Hawkeye+Invitational+hosted+Arkansas+State%2C+Bradley%2C+Hawkeye+Community+College%2C+Indian+Hills+Community+College%2C+Iowa+Central+Community+College%2C+Loyola-Chicago%2C+Northern+Iowa%2C+South+Dakota%2C+UW-Milwaukee%2C+and+Western+Illinois.+

Iowa’s Jenoah McKiver runs in a race during the 2022 Hawkeye Invitational track and field meet at the University of Iowa Recreation Building on Saturday, Jan. 15, 2022. The Hawkeye Invitational hosted Arkansas State, Bradley, Hawkeye Community College, Indian Hills Community College, Iowa Central Community College, Loyola-Chicago, Northern Iowa, South Dakota, UW-Milwaukee, and Western Illinois.

Grant Hall, Sports Reporter

Iowa track and field sophomore Jenoah McKiver has been showered with accolades throughout the 2021-22 season.

During the indoor slate, McKiver earned two All-American honors, several Big Ten Athlete of the Week distinctions, the United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association Midwest Region Men’s Track Athlete of the Year award, and the Big Ten Men’s Indoor Track Athlete of the Year award.

McKiver added another decoration to his collection on April 12, when he was named the USTFCCCA National Track Athlete of the Week. McKiver earned the honor after shattering Iowa’s 400-meter outdoor record and recording the second-fastest time in the world this year, 44.74 seconds, at the Jim Click Shootout in Tucson, Arizona, on April 9.

RELATED: Jenoah McKiver breaks Iowa track and field outdoor 400-meter record at Jim Click Shootout

McKiver’s ascension to stardom was never a given. Iowa Director of Track and Field Joey Woody, however, said he saw flashes of future success during McKiver’s freshman year in Iowa City in 2020-21.

“We saw some [promising] things last year,” Woody said. “We saw some glimpses of what type of talent he was last year … We saw some really good things in practice last season, but this fall was our biggest indicator. He had a spectacular fall, when he really impressed us in a 300-meter time trial and ran a world-class time.”

Woody added that McKiver’s diligence in taking care of his body helped his talent shine.

McKiver missed significant time last season as he nursed injuries, but he has been much more present in the 2021-22 indoor and outdoor slate.

“He just struggled a little bit with staying healthy [last year], and I think he owned it,” Woody said. “This year he’s been more serious about training and coming in more recovered between practices, taking care of his body more. He’s really stepped it up with what he is doing to stay healthy.”

McKiver also credits his recent success to an improved mindset and better training habits.

“This year, my confidence has taken me a long way,” McKiver said. “I’ve been lifting more, because staying healthy is the most important part. I made it a priority to keep my body healthy this year.”

Although a significant portion of McKiver’s improvement has been self-created, he recognizes the importance of his support system. He cited teammates and coaches as two of the biggest contributors to his confidence.

“There’s great energy and great vibes throughout the whole team,” McKiver said. “[Coach Woody] builds everybody up, and seeing the way he treats everyone makes this team feel like a family.”

The sophomore out of High Point, North Carolina, also won a 2022 Big Ten indoor title in the 600-meter with a time of 1 minute and 15.67 seconds. He was a runner-up at the 2022 NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships in the 400-meter with a 45.65-second time.

Woody said McKiver’s overall season success, as well as his recently acquired school record, has boosted his confidence and set him up for a big outdoor postseason.

“I think it just proves to him what type of 400 athlete he is,” Woody said. “He can be a 44-low guy by the end of the outdoor season, and who knows, maybe he’ll be even faster.”

As the Hawkeyes’ outdoor season continues, McKiver said he has a shortlist of goals to accomplish in his sophomore year.

“My goal this outdoor season is for our team to win the Big Ten title again,” he said. “Individually, I want to win nationals and go sub-44 in the 400.”