No. 4 seed Providence advances to second round of NCAA Tournament, will play Iowa-Richmond winner

Providence defeated South Dakota State, 66-57, on Thursday to advance.

Providence+forward+Justin+Minaya+shoots+the+ball+during+the+first+round+of+the+NCAA+Mens+Championship+between+the+Providence+Friars+and+the+South+Dakota+State+Jackrabbits+at+KeyBank+Center+in+Buffalo%2C+N.Y.%2C+on+Thursday%2C+March+17%2C+2022.+

Gabby Drees

Providence forward Justin Minaya shoots the ball during the first round of the NCAA Men’s Championship between the Providence Friars and the South Dakota State Jackrabbits at KeyBank Center in Buffalo, N.Y., on Thursday, March 17, 2022.

Robert Read, Pregame Editor

BUFFALO, N.Y. — The No. 4 seed Providence men’s basketball team defeated No. 13 seed South Dakota State, 66-57, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

The Friars advance to the second round, where they will play the winner of the Iowa-Richmond first round game, which is also being played in Buffalo, N.Y., at the Keybank Center on Thursday. South Dakota State took an early four-point lead midway through the first half. Providence closed the first half on a 24-12 run and led by eight points at halftime. South Dakota State rallied back and was within three points in the final minute of the game, but Providence closed out the game at the free-throw line to secure its tournament win.

The No. 5 seed Hawkeyes and the No. 12 seed Spiders are scheduled to tip off at 2:10 p.m. (CT). The winner will play the Friars at a yet-to-be-announced time on Saturday.