UI Student Wellness requires students, staff to wear masks for all appointments

The University of Iowa’s Student Wellness will be requiring all students and staff to wear medical-grade face masks to appointments. The mask guidance went into effect Jan. 10.

Signs encouraging students to wear masks in classrooms are seen on the doors of the English-Philosophy Building at the University of Iowa on Monday, Aug. 23, 2021.

Kate Perez, News Reporter

The University of Iowa’s Student Wellness is now requiring medical-grade masks to be worn at all appointments. 

The updated requirement applies to both students and staff, and went into effect on Jan. 10. 

An announcement was posted on the Student Wellness website on Jan. 7, announcing masks would be required for all those who have appointments at Student Wellness locations. 

“Cloth masks alone are not allowed; medical-grade masks will be provided at entrance if you do not have one. The updated guidelines are in line with UI guidance for healthcare due to the emergence of the omicron variant,” the update states. 

RELATED: Johnson County health care officials call for stop of omicron spread as cases rise

The change to the requirement was also shared out through a tweet today from the UI Student Wellness twitter account. 

While Student Wellness appointments now require masks for appointments, there is no mask or vaccine mandate for students and staff in UI buildings. This is in accordance with the state Board of Regents’ guidelines the UI is required to follow. 

“The Board of Regents, State of Iowa has determined the public universities will not mandate face coverings and that classrooms and other campus spaces will operate at their normal (pre-pandemic) capacity,” an announcement on the UI Coronavirus website reads. “The university is obligated to follow the guidance of our governing body.”

The UI announced they would begin classes in-person as scheduled for the spring semester on Jan. 18, and encouraged students and staff to get vaccinated and wear masks whenever possible.