The Northside Concert Series looks to expand for the 2022 performances

In light of additional funding and recent success, the Northside Concert Series expects to host six live music shows for the summer 2022.

Audience+members+applaud+Blake+Shaw+and+Dan+Padley+as+they+perform+outside+Goosetown+Cafe+on+Tuesday+Oct.+7%2C+2020.+Guests+watched+from+their+tables+outside+as+others+gathered+within+the+street+to+listen.+

Kate Heston

Audience members applaud Blake Shaw and Dan Padley as they perform outside Goosetown Cafe on Tuesday Oct. 7, 2020. Guests watched from their tables outside as others gathered within the street to listen.

Jami Martin-Trainor, Arts Reporter

As the year draws to a close and weather grows colder, Iowa City’s Summer of the Arts is already looking toward its titular season.

The nonprofit’s Northside Concert series has been successful since it began a few years ago. Hosting an array of performers, the event takes place in the Northside district of downtown Iowa City and provides the community with accessible live music.

Summer of the Arts Executive Director Lisa Barnes said the organization plans to expand the series next year by adding separate performances throughout the summer on the Northside.

“All of the concerts that we’ve had on the Northside have been very well attended, so it just made sense for us to be able to provide additional programming,” Barnes said.

RELATED: Iowa City’s Holiday Retail Open House wraps parties and Christmas shopping into one

The Northside neighborhood is expansive, with an array of local businesses and community members. This year, funding for the concert series will be provided by both businesses and individual members of the community.

“All of the Northside businesses are given the opportunity to donate to sponsor the concert series. The more businesses that donate, the less amount they have to chip in,” Barnes said. “The other thing that they have done this year is that they actually reached out to the Northside neighborhood, the residents that live there, and asked them to help support.”

The Northside Concert Series also keeps Linn Street closed. Northside businesses have talked with the city about potentially closing down the street for entertainment on a more permanent basis.

Ofer Sivan, a resident on the Northside, member of the Summer of the Arts board and owner of Oasis Falafel, said several businesses and groups are working on this effort to make the area a community space.

“We want to keep the street closed at least during the summer, but hopefully permanently someday, so having events and shows where that space is used helps,” Sivan said.

RELATED: Downtown Block Party changed, Summer of the Arts programming canceled due to COVID-19

Sivan noted that expansion does not necessarily mean only adding more shows.

In addition to the 2022 series having more concerts, the nonprofit also has intentions to pay artists and staff more for their contributions.

“We feel like it’s time to pay the artists a little more,” Sivan said. “A lot of the artists and staff are from our community and a lot of them live on the Northside.”

Though closing down the street for the series can benefit the community, the main goal of the Northside Concert Series and the Summer of the Arts is to provide live, accessible music that everyone can enjoy.

“Our ultimate goal is bringing people together in Iowa City through arts and experiencing arts and cultural activities,” Barnes said. “All of our regular events that we produce are free for everyone to attend. It’s really important that the arts are accessible to everyone in the community.”

Photo of Jami Martin-Trainor
Jami Martin-Trainor, Managing Digital Editor

(she/her/hers)
Jami Martin-Trainor is a third-year student at the University of Iowa double majoring in Journalism and Political Science with a minor...

• Hancher Auditorium is seen on Sunday, July 10, 2022.

Arts

Hancher presents creative, collaborative modern opera with ‘Fierce’

• Jiayi Liang’s solo exhibition The Long Season as seen in Public Space One in Iowa City on Thursday, April 18, 2024.

Arts

Artist conveys the long-term effects of trauma through art

• Cinematography filmmaking conceptual image in between takes

Artist Profile

How a professor helped implement the screenwriting major at the UI

• Taylor Swift walks the red carpet at the NSAI Awards at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, Tenn., Tuesday, Sept. 20, 2022.

Arts

Review | New Taylor Swift album is heartbreaking with similarities to her previous work

• Maggie Rogers performs on the first day of the second weekend of Austin City Limits Music Festival, Friday, Oct. 13, 2023.

Arts

Review | Maggie Rogers’ new album ‘Don’t Forget Me’ leaves a little to be desired

• Comic books are seen on display at Daydreams Comics in Iowa City on Thursday, April 1.

Artist Profile

UI comic book magazine promotes student artists and writers

• Joe Hermann works at the greenhouse in Biology Building East on Wednesday, April 17, 2024. The gardening team works to cultivate native plants and grow greens for the UIowa Food Pantry.

Arts

Digging into the weeds of gardening: the rise of native planting

• A projector runs during the premiere of The Daily Iowan Documentary Workshop’s feature film, Lost In The In-between: Graduating Into 2020, at the Chauncey at FilmScene in Iowa City on Thursday, May 4, 2023. The film follows five Iowa graduates as they find their place in the world post graduation during a global pandemic.

Arts

Review | ‘The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare’ kept me captivated

• Jan 15, 2024; Los Angeles, CA, USA; Jesse Eisenberg at the 75th Emmy Awards at the Peacock Theater  in Los Angeles on Monday, Jan. 15, 2024. Mandatory Credit: Kevork Djansezian-USA TODAY

Arts

Review | ‘Sasquatch Sunset’ is the pro-environment movie we need right now

• Riverside Theater is seen outside after 24ThankYou’s set during the Mission Creek Festival at Riverside Theater on Saturday, April 6, 2024.

Arts

Review | ‘Herein Lies the Truth’ examines storytelling in a completely unique way