The Northside Concert Series looks to expand for the 2022 performances

In light of additional funding and recent success, the Northside Concert Series expects to host six live music shows for the summer 2022.

Audience+members+applaud+Blake+Shaw+and+Dan+Padley+as+they+perform+outside+Goosetown+Cafe+on+Tuesday+Oct.+7%2C+2020.+Guests+watched+from+their+tables+outside+as+others+gathered+within+the+street+to+listen.+

Kate Heston

Audience members applaud Blake Shaw and Dan Padley as they perform outside Goosetown Cafe on Tuesday Oct. 7, 2020. Guests watched from their tables outside as others gathered within the street to listen.

Jami Martin-Trainor, Arts Reporter

As the year draws to a close and weather grows colder, Iowa City’s Summer of the Arts is already looking toward its titular season.

The nonprofit’s Northside Concert series has been successful since it began a few years ago. Hosting an array of performers, the event takes place in the Northside district of downtown Iowa City and provides the community with accessible live music.

Summer of the Arts Executive Director Lisa Barnes said the organization plans to expand the series next year by adding separate performances throughout the summer on the Northside.

“All of the concerts that we’ve had on the Northside have been very well attended, so it just made sense for us to be able to provide additional programming,” Barnes said.

RELATED: Iowa City’s Holiday Retail Open House wraps parties and Christmas shopping into one

The Northside neighborhood is expansive, with an array of local businesses and community members. This year, funding for the concert series will be provided by both businesses and individual members of the community.

“All of the Northside businesses are given the opportunity to donate to sponsor the concert series. The more businesses that donate, the less amount they have to chip in,” Barnes said. “The other thing that they have done this year is that they actually reached out to the Northside neighborhood, the residents that live there, and asked them to help support.”

The Northside Concert Series also keeps Linn Street closed. Northside businesses have talked with the city about potentially closing down the street for entertainment on a more permanent basis.

Ofer Sivan, a resident on the Northside, member of the Summer of the Arts board and owner of Oasis Falafel, said several businesses and groups are working on this effort to make the area a community space.

“We want to keep the street closed at least during the summer, but hopefully permanently someday, so having events and shows where that space is used helps,” Sivan said.

RELATED: Downtown Block Party changed, Summer of the Arts programming canceled due to COVID-19

Sivan noted that expansion does not necessarily mean only adding more shows.

In addition to the 2022 series having more concerts, the nonprofit also has intentions to pay artists and staff more for their contributions.

“We feel like it’s time to pay the artists a little more,” Sivan said. “A lot of the artists and staff are from our community and a lot of them live on the Northside.”

Though closing down the street for the series can benefit the community, the main goal of the Northside Concert Series and the Summer of the Arts is to provide live, accessible music that everyone can enjoy.

“Our ultimate goal is bringing people together in Iowa City through arts and experiencing arts and cultural activities,” Barnes said. “All of our regular events that we produce are free for everyone to attend. It’s really important that the arts are accessible to everyone in the community.”

Facebook Comments

• Sonya Madrigal dances across stage while rehearsing “Letters From Cuba,” in the University of Iowa’s Theatre Building on Tuesday, Jan. 25, 2022.

Arts

Photos: Iowa Directors Festival rehearsals

• Actors act out a scene in “Cupid Tyrannous,” a play written by Kiley E Rowe and co-directed by Albert Williams and Alexis Vaselopulos on Tuesday, Jan. 25, 2022. The play is set to premiere on Friday, Jan. 28 and Saturday, Jan. 29, in the Alan MacVey Theatre at the Theatre Building.

Arts

UI Theatre Department’s workshop series to present ‘Cupid Tyrannous,’ a play about love and loneliness

• Actors perform during warmups of “England’s Splendid Daughters,” in the University of Iowa’s Theatre Building on Tuesday, Jan. 25, 2022.

Arts

Iowa Directors Festival returns, presents four unique shows

• Student Ella Davis poses for a portrait with her art on Saturday, Jan. 22, 2022. This piece was done in collaboration with Trumpet Studio member Sara Lyons.

Arts

Student Spotlight: First-year artist Ella Davis creates artwork inspired by trumpet music

• Contributed photo of author Jennine Capó Crucet.

Arts

Local Libraries LIT invites author Jennine Capó Crucet to speak on race, gender, and immigration

• Jan 8, 2017; Beverly Hills, CA, USA; Lily Collins arrives for the 74th Golden Globe Awards at the Beverly Hilton. Mandatory Credit: Dan MacMedan-USA TODAY NETWORK

Arts

Emily in Paris season 2 mirrors the mediocrity of its debut season

• Contributed from the artists.

Arts

UI creatives make short film inspired by Museum of Natural History’s Mammal Hall

• Contributed photo of Beverly Mead.

Arts

‘Mama Mead’ finds family on the stage

• Contributed photo from Hancher.

Arts

Hancher’s ‘An Officer and A Gentleman’ delivers almost everything you could want in a musical

• A demolition notice paper can be seen on the outside of the building where The Mill was formerly located in Iowa City on Monday, Jan. 17, 2022.

Arts

The Mill set for demolition, plans for new arts venue in motion