Live updates | No. 9 Iowa football takes on Wisconsin in Madison

The Hawkeyes haven’t defeated the Badgers on the road since 2015.

Jerod Ringwald

Iowa tight end Sam LaPorta jumps up to catch a pass over Wisconsin linebacker Nick Herbig during a football game between No. 9 Iowa and Wisconsin at Camp Randall Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 30, 2021. (Jerod Ringwald/The Daily Iowan)

Austin Hanson, Sports Editor

The No. 9 University of Iowa football team will take on Wisconsin at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison this afternoon. The Hawkeyes haven’t beaten the Badgers on the road since 2015.

Iowa lost its last game to Purdue, 24-7, Oct. 16. The Badgers enter Saturday’s contest fresh off a 30-13 win over the Boilermakers.

Iowa boasts 6-1 overall and 3-1 conference records. Wisconsin is 4-3 overall and 2-2 in league play this season.

Daily Iowan Pregame Editor Robert Read (@Robert_Read34 on Twitter) and Sports Editor Austin Hanson (@ahanson_41 on Twitter) are in the press box to cover today’s game. Follow them, the live blog below, and @dipregame for updates throughout the day.

Kickoff between the Hawkeyes and Badgers is scheduled 11:02 a.m. The game will air live on ESPN.

PREGAME — When Iowa head football coach Kirk Ferentz ruled starting defensive back Riley Moss out for Saturday’s game against Wisconsin, junior Terry Roberts was expected to take his place in Iowa’s lineup. Pregame, however, Roberts was spotted in street clothes. UNI transfer Xavior Williams and sophomore Jermari are the next two corners up on Iowa’s depth chart.

Iowa also appears to be making a change at right tackle. Junior Jack Plumb looks like he will be starting at right tackle for the Hawkeyes today instead of sophomore Nick DeJong.

NFL scouts from the Chicago Bears, Baltimore Ravens, Seattle Seahawks, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, New England Patriots, and Pittsburgh Steelers are in at attendance at Camp Randall Stadium. Scouts from the Rose and Citrus Bowl Games are here too.

COIN TOSS — Iowa won the toss and elected to receive. The Hawkeyes will have the ball first. Wisconsin will start the second half with the ball.

14:52 1Q — Iowa returner Charlie Jones races out to the Hawkeyes 45-yard line. Iowa’s offense will set up shop from there.

3:08 1Q — Wisconsin gets on the scoreboard first as Badger QB Graham Mertz connects with TE Jake Ferguson for a touchdown. Wisconsin now leads Iowa, 7-0.

1:13 1Q — Iowa has made some changes on its offensive line. Cody Ince, Justin Britt, and Nick DeJong have subbed in at left guard, right guard, and right tackle, respectively.

End 1Q —  Wisconsin leads Iowa after one quarter of action, 7-0. The Badgers are threatening to score again at the start of the second quarter. They’ll have the ball on the other side of the break at the Hawkeye 24-yard line.

13:03 2Q — Wisconsin spends its first timeout of the game. The Badgers will face a 3rd & 2 from the Iowa 10-yard line on the other side of the break. Wisconsin still leads Iowa, 7-0.

10:49 2Q — Iowa QB Spencer Petras fumbles the ball. Wisconsin recovers at the Hawkeye 8-yard line. The Badgers lead the Hawkeyes, 10-0.

9:41 2Q — Iowa WR Charlie Jones heads back to the locker room after sustaining an injury on a kick return.

8:30 2Q — Wisconsin turns the ball over on downs inside the Iowa 1-yard line. The Hawkeyes’ offense will set up shop standing in their own end zone. The Badgers still lead the Hawkeyes, 10-0.

7:44 2Q — Iowa running back Ivory Kelly-Martin fumbles the ball at the Iowa 1-yard line, and Wisconsin recovers. The Badgers’ offense scores on the ensuing play. Wisconsin now leads Iowa, 17-0.

4:18 2Q — Iowa muffs a punt at its own 18-yard line, Wisconsin recovers. The Badgers still lead the Hawkeyes, 17-0.

HALFTIME — Wisconsin scores 20 points in the first half. Iowa picked up just one first down. The Badgers lead the Hawkeyes, 20-0.

8:21 3Q — Petras scores on a quarterback sneak. Iowa is now on the board, but it still trails Wisconsin, 20-7.

3:52 3Q — Iowa turns the ball over on downs. Wisconsin will take over on offense from its own 40-yard line. The Badgers still lead the Hawkeyes, 20-7.

END 3Q — At the end of three quarters, the Hawkeyes still trail the Badgers, 20-7. Wisconsin will face a 2nd and 6 from the Iowa 9-yard line on the other side of the break.

12:54 4Q — Wisconsin QB Graham Mertz scores on a sneak. The Badgers now lead the Hawkeyes, 27-7.

10:48 4Q — Iowa turns the ball over on downs at the Wisconsin 39-yard line. The Badgers’ offense will set up from there. Iowa still trails Wisconsin, 27-7.

7:18 4Q — Iowa has subbed backup quarterback Alex Padilla into the game. Petras, the starter, appeared to suffer a shoulder injury at the end of the Hawkeyes’ last drive. Iowa trails Wisconsin, 27-7.

FINAL: Wisconsin 27, Iowa 7