Live updates: No. 5 Iowa football hosts Colorado State

Kickoff between the 3-0 Hawkeyes and 1-2 Rams is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. at Kinnick Stadium Saturday.

Jerod Ringwald

Iowa defensive lineman Noah Shannon makes a tackle on Colorado State running back A’Jon Vivens during a football game between Iowa and Colorado State at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 25, 2021. (Jerod Ringwald/The Daily Iowan)

Austin Hanson, Sports Editor

No. 5 Iowa football will take on Mountain West Conference foe Colorado State at 2:30 p.m. at Kinnick Stadium Saturday.

The Hawkeyes and Rams have never played each other before. Colorado State is coached by Steve Addazio, who is 2-5 in his tenure with the Rams. The Hawkeyes’ head coach Kirk Ferentz has been at the University of Iowa for the last 23 seasons. His win-loss record at Iowa is 171-106.

Daily Iowan Pregame Editor Robert Read and Sports Editor Austin Hanson are covering Saturday’s Iowa-Colorado State game from the press box at Kinnick Stadium. Follow @Robert_Read34, @ahanson_41, and @dipregame on Twitter for coverage throughout the afternoon.

This story is live and will be updated throughout Saturday’s contest. Additional game coverage will be available at dailyiowan.com.

Pregame 

Ferentz and his coaching staff have tweaked their starting lineup ahead of Saturday’s Iowa-Colorado State game. Gary Dolphin, the radio voice of the Hawkeyes, said pregame that freshman offensive lineman Connor Colby will be starting at right guard in place of sophomore Justin Britt. Dolphin said Britt is dealing an injury. It is unknown if Britt will play at all on Saturday.

Coin toss — Colorado State won the toss and elected to receive.

13:46 1Q — Colorado State’s offense goes three-and-out to start the game. Iowa’s offense takes over first and ten at the 20-yard line after the Rams’ punt finds the end zone.

Colby and fellow true freshman Keagan Johnson were both in Iowa’s starting lineup today.

9:45 1Q — Hawkeye punter Tory Taylor booted the ball to the Rams’ 26-yard line after Iowa’s offense failed to convert on third down. Colorado State took over first and ten.

6:05 1Q — Colorado State turns the football over on downs at the Iowa 31-yard line. The Hawkeyes’ offense will take over first and ten from there.

4:33 1Q — Colorado State regains possession of the football at their own 10-yard line following a punt from Iowa’s Tory Taylor. The Hawkeyes and Rams are still tied, 0-0.

END 1Q — Iowa running back Tyler Goodson scampers for 27 yards and a first down. On the other side of the break, the Hawkeyes will face first down and ten at their own 44-yard line. Iowa and Colorado State are still tied, 0-0.

13:45 2Q — Iowa quarterback Spencer Petras connects with freshman wide receiver Keagan Johnson for a 43-yard touchdown. Caleb Shudak’s extra point is good. The Hawkeyes now lead the Rams, 7-0.

Johnson records his first touchdown as a Hawkeye in just his fourth game in the Black and Gold.

5:08 2Q — After a replay review, Colorado State picks up a first down at the Iowa 11-yard line. The Rams are now set up first and ten. The Hawkeyes still lead, 7-0.

3:55 2Q — Colorado State QB Todd Centeio scrambles into the end zone from ten yards out. The Rams’ extra point is good. Iowa and Colorado State are now tied, 7-7.

3:35 2Q — Petras connects with Johnson for 49 yards. Iowa is now set up first and ten at the Colorado State 29-yard line. The Hawkeyes and Rams are still tied, 7-7.

1:32 2Q — Petras’ pass is intercepted at the Colorado State 15-yard line. The Rams return it to the Iowa 23-yard line. They’ll have it first and ten with a chance to take the lead. Iowa and Colorado State are still tied, 7-7.

0:24 2Q — Colorado State scores a 3-yard touchdown to take a 14-7 lead over Iowa. The touchdown is QB Todd Centeio’s second of the game. He now has one rushing TD and one passing TD.

HALFTIME: Iowa 7, Colorado State 14

15:00 3Q — Iowa received the second half’s opening kickoff. After a touchback, the Hawkeyes will take over first and ten at their own 25-yard line.

8:17 3Q — Iowa wide receiver Tyrone Tracy Jr. scores on a six-yard run. Shudak’s extra point is good. The Hawkeyes and Rams are now tied, 14-14.

A Colorado State fumble that was recovered by Hawkeye LB Jack Campbell at the Ram 6-yard line led to the score.

6:01 3Q — Petras connects with TE Sam LaPorta for a touchdown. Shudak’s extra point is good. The Hawkeyes now lead the Rams, 21-14.

4:41 3Q — Colorado State turns the ball over on downs. Iowa’s offense will take over first and ten from its own 42-yard line.

2:36 3Q — Taylor punts the ball down to the Colorado State 1-yard line. The Rams will take over first and ten, trailing, 21-14.

END 3Q — Iowa stops Colorado State on third down. The Rams will punt on the other side of the break. The Hawkeyes are still winning the game, 21-14.

12:38 4Q — Shudak converts on a 45-yard field goal attempt to give Iowa a 24-14 lead over Colorado State.

END 4Q — Iowa 24, Colorado State 14

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.