Follow along: Iowa wrestling participates in Session 1A of the NCAA Championships

After claiming a Big Ten team title two weeks ago, Iowa wrestling now begins its pursuit of a national championship.

Penn+States+Roman+Bravo-Young+leaps+to+avoid+shots+taken+by+Iowa%E2%80%99s+Austin+DeSanto+during+the+finals+of+the+Big+Ten+Wrestling+Tournament+at+the+Bryce+Jordan+Center+in+State+College%2C+PA+on+Sunday%2C+March+8%2C+2021.+Bravo-Young+won+the+match+by+decision+5-2.+The+Hawkeyes+won+the+Big+Ten+Title+with+a+team+score+of+159.5.+This+is+the+37+Big+Ten+Title+in+school+history.+

Ryan Adams

Penn States Roman Bravo-Young leaps to avoid shots taken by Iowa’s Austin DeSanto during the finals of the Big Ten Wrestling Tournament at the Bryce Jordan Center in State College, PA on Sunday, March 8, 2021. Bravo-Young won the match by decision 5-2. The Hawkeyes won the Big Ten Title with a team score of 159.5. This is the 37 Big Ten Title in school history.

Austin Hanson, Sports Editor

St. LOUIS — After claiming a team title at the 2021 Big Ten Wrestling Championships, Iowa wrestling returned to the mat Thursday for the opening two sessions of the NCAA Championship.

133-pounds: Austin DeSanto vs. Paul Bianchi

In Iowa wrestling’s first matchup of the day, 133-pound senior Austin DeSanto  downed Arkansas-Little Rock’s Paul Bianchi via technical fall, 19-4, in the second period.

125-pounds: Spencer Lee vs. Patrick McCormick

Two-time national champion Spencer Lee won his first matchup of the 2021 NCAA Championships Thursday morning, downing Virginia’s Patrick McCormick, via technical fall, 17-1.

141-pounds: Max Murin vs. Graham Rooks

After surrendering two early takedowns, Iowa’s Max Murin defeated Indiana’s Graham Rooks in comeback fashion. Murin won via and 8-7 decision after a riding time point was tacked onto his score at the end of the match.

149-pounds: Jaydin Eierman vs. Cayden Rooks

Iowa’ Jaydin Eierman downed Indiana’s Cayden Rooks via technical fall, 20-5, Thursday. “The Riddler’s” Session I match marked the first time he’s competed at the NCAA Championships since he finished in third place at 141-pounds in 2019.

157-pounds: Kaleb Young vs. Caleb Licking

In his first matchup of the 2021 NCAA Wrestling Championships, Iowa’s 157-pounder Kaleb Young downed Nebraska’s Caleb Licking, 10-2. Young will wrestle Penn State’s Brady Berge in the next round.

This is a developing story. Check back for more information throughout the day