Iowa women’s swim/dive defeats Iowa State in the Cy-Hawk Series

For the 10th straight year, the Hawkeye women’s swimming and diving team beat Iowa State to expand Iowa’s lead in the Cy-Hawk Series.

Katie Goodale

Allyssa Fluit participates in the Women’s 200 freestyle during an intrasquad meet at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center on Saturday Sept. 28, 2019. The Gold team defeated the Black team 109.0-83.0. Fluit came in second with a time of 1:53.01. (Katie Goodale/The Daily Iowan)

Chris Werner, Sports Reporter

Iowa women’s swimming and diving extended its winning streak against the Cyclones to 10 meets as the Black and Gold triumphed 179-121 in Ames on Dec. 13.

The decade of dominance seemed to be in jeopardy early on as Iowa State captured first place in both of the first two races in Beyer Natatorium, but the Cyclones would only top the podium twice more in the remaining 14 events of the competition.

Allyssa Fluit, Hannah Burvill, Kelsey Drake, and Jayah Mathews captured multiple individual victories for the Hawkeyes.

Burvill and Drake each tallied three wins, Fluit won two events, and Mathews swept the diving portion of the meet winning both the 1 and 3-meter competitions.

Burvill’s impressive showing began in the meet’s fourth event when she won the 100-back. She then went on to first-place finishes in the 50 and 100-free.

Drake was victorious in 200-individual medley and both the 100 and 200-fly. Her 200-fly time of 1:57.87 was good enough to set a new pool record. In her historic swim, she won by more than four seconds over second-place finisher Lucia Rizzo of Iowa State.

Drake, Millie Sansome, and Grace Reeder finished in the top three positions in the 200-IM, racking up 16 total points in that race alone.

Fluit won the 200 and 500-free, and Mathews tallied scores of 318.40 and 348.40 to top the leader board in the 1 and 3-meter events, respectively. Her 3-meter score was good for the second pool record of the night. Sam Tamborski finished second behind Mathews in both events.

RELATED: Women’s swim/dive excited to face off with Cyclones 

Mathews’ success continued her impressive run recently. She hasn’t finished anywhere but first in the last two dual meets and has won five of her last six dual meet events. She was also named Big Ten Diver of the week during back-to-back weeks in November.

Millie Sansome won the 200-back and the relay team of Burvill, Fluit, Macy Rink, and Sarah Schemmel closed out the night with over a two-second victory in the 400-free relay.

The team triumph increased Iowa’s lead in the year-long Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series to 13-6 and ultimately clinched another series win for the Hawkeyes. With only three head-to-head matchups remaining this season — each worth two points — the margin is too large for a Cyclones comeback. Iowa captured the series last year, 15-10.

The win improves the Hawkeye women to a 4-2 dual meet record on the season, while Iowa State falls to 3-3 for the year.

The win is Iowa’s second dual meet victory in a row after they defeated Rutgers in its last head-to-head competition before Thanksgiving.

Tamborski will travel with fellow diver Anton Hoherz to compete in the 2019 USA Diving Senior National Championships this week in Minneapolis.

The Hawkeyes next competitive swim will be 11 a.m, Jan. 11, when Iowa welcomes Illinois women’s team and both the Notre Dame men’s and women’s programs to the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center.