Iowa track and field dominates at Jimmy Grant Invitational

The 2019 Jimmy Grant Invitational was quite explosive for Iowa track and field. Iowa claimed eight individual titles and one relay championship.

Jenna Galligan

Iowa hurdler Jaylan McConico crosses the finish line of the men’s 60m hurdles during the Jimmy Grant Invitational at the University of Iowa Recreation Building on Saturday, Dec. 14, 2019. McConico’s final time of 7.66 won him the race over teammates Josh Braverman and Will Daniels. (Jenna Galligan/The Daily Iowan)

Austin Hanson, Sports Reporter

Jimmy Grant saw many memorable moments during his time as head coach of the Iowa women’s track team from 1996-2006. Grant coached 12 individual Big Ten titles and 10 All-Americans.

Grant passed away in 2007, but his memory lives on. This weekend, the Hawkeyes hosted the annual Jimmy Grant Invitational at the University of Iowa recreation building.  

The 2019 Grant Invitational did not disappoint. Against a field that included Iowa State, Lewis University, Maryville University, and Northern Iowa, the Hawkeyes earned eight individual titles and one relay championship.

“It was a good opener for us to just get out here and compete,” Iowa head coach Joey Woody said in a release. “I told our team last night that the season has started, and you can go qualify for the national meet today. We were fortunate enough to have great competition this weekend.”

Senior Jaylan McConico won the 60-meter hurdles, finishing his run in 7.66 seconds. McConico’s run was good for second all-time on Iowa’s list of fastest 60-meter hurdle times.

“The highlight was Jaylan McConico in the 60-meter hurdles, running 7.66,” Woody said. “That will definitely get him into the national championships. He’s number one in the country, as far as I know. So, it was definitely a great opener for him. All the hurdlers did a fantastic job.” 

Another Hawkeye also etched her name in Iowa’s record book over the weekend. Junior Antonise Christian’s 7.48 second 60-meter dash time ranks sixth on Iowa’s all-time list for the 60-meter.

The sixth place theme continued for throwers Tyler Lienau and Amanda Howe. Lienau hit the 20-meter mark in weight throw and moved into sixth on Iowa’s all-time list in the event. In the women’s division of the same event, Howe claimed her sixth all-time spot with a 18.43 meter throw.

“Tyler’s mark today would have been seventh in the Big Ten for the entire year so that was a great start for him,” Woody said. “Amanda Howe came out on the women’s side and picked up a big performance there. She redshirted last year, so to be able to do what she did today is fantastic.”

The record-setting performances Iowa manufactured weren’t the weekend’s only highlights. Iowa breezed through the 600-meter on both the men’s and women’s side. Junior Mallory King and freshman Spencer Gudgel finished first in their respective divisions of the 600-meter.

“From start to finish, I thought the women’s 600 was fantastic, and to see Mallory King come out and run a 1:31 this early in the season was fun to see,” Woody said.

Gudgel wasn’t the only runner in a Hawkeye debut to win his event at the Grant Invitational over the weekend. Fleet-footed Gabby Skopec won the women’s mile run in five minutes and 13 seconds.

Iowa’s lone relay victory of the invitational came from the Addie Swanson, Jenny Kimbro, Tia Saunders, and Jada Laye team. The Hawkeye women won the 1,600 meter relay to conclude invitational play.

With the Jimmy Grant Invitational now behind them, the Hawkeyes have a bit of a break in lying ahead. The Iowa track and field team won’t compete again until after winter break, hosting the Hawkeye Invitational from Jan. 17-18.