Wirfs, Duncan, Epenesa highlight Walter Camp All-America teams

All-Big Ten first teamers Keith Duncan, Tristan Wirfs and A.J. Epenesa were named Walter Camp All-Americans on Thursday.

Iowa defensive end AJ Epenesa rushes the passer during a football game between Iowa and Wisconsin at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison on Saturday, November 9, 2019.

Austin Hanson, Sports Reporter

The Walter Camp Foundation announced its 2019 Walter Camp All-American teams on Thursday, which featured three Hawkeye juniors: offensive tackle Tristan Wirfs, kicker Keith Duncan, and defensive end A.J. Epenesa.

Wirfs was named a first-team All-American. The honor is yet another Wirfs can add to his growing list of achievements. He previously won the Big Ten’s Rimington-Pace Offensive Lineman of the Year Award and was a first-team All-Big Ten selection by coaches and members of the media. Notably, Wirfs was also a semifinalist for the 2019 Outland Trophy, awarded to the nation’s best interior lineman.

A.J. Epenesa and Keith Duncan were both second-team All-Americans. Duncan was one of the finalists in the running for the Lou Groza Award, which is awarded to the nation’s best kicker. Despite coming up empty in that race, Duncan’s 2019 season has still been impressive.

Duncan set a Big Ten single-season record with 29 made field goals. He also earned the Big Ten’s Bakken-Anderson Kicker of the Year award and was named a unanimous first-team All-Big Ten selection by the Associated Press.

Epenesa has also starred in 2019. He was named first-team All-Big Ten for the second-straight season and was a first-team All-Big Ten selection by the Associated Press. Epenesa earned the Big Ten’s Defensive Player of the Week honor twice, lifting Iowa to victories over Minnesota and Nebraska.

Only No. 2 Ohio State and No. 1 LSU had more Walter Camp All-Americans than Iowa, with five and four, respectively. This is the sixth-straight season that at least one Hawkeye has been made the Walter Camp cut. In four of those six years, Iowa has had one first-teamer.

The three Hawkeyes will be honored at the Walter Camp Foundation’s 53rd annual national awards banquet on Jan. 18. The event will be held at Camp’s alma mater, Yale University.