Iowa volleyball falls to Penn State, Rutgers

Last weekend proved to be a difficult one for the Hawkeyes. Iowa lost to Penn State and Rutgers in straight sets on Friday and Saturday, respectively.

Megan Nagorzanski

Iowa defensive specialist Halle Johnston dives for the ball during a volleyball match between Iowa and Washington at Carver Hawkeye Arena on Saturday, September 7, 2019. The Hawkeyes were defeated by the Huskies, 3-1.

Austin Hanson, Sports Reporter

In volleyball, the most dangerous team is the team that is underestimated. On Saturday evening, the Hawkeyes greatly underestimated the Scarlet Knights.

Rutgers came to Carver-Hawkeye Arena sitting at 1-10 in conference play and 8-15 overall. According to the NCAA Division I Volleyball Ratings Percentage Index (RPI), Rutgers came into the game 119th ranked team in the country. Iowa came into it ranked 58th in the RPI rankings.

“It’s tough to come out and play against a team that you’re favored to [beat] rankings-wise,” sophomore Hannah Clayton said.

Rutgers controlled the match from start to finish. The Scarlet Knights quickly dispatched the Hawkeyes in three sets. The match only took 84 minutes to complete.

“I don’t think we played as a team [on Saturday] at all,” Griere Hughes said. “I think we played as six individuals, actually. We just didn’t play well.”

Rutgers took advantage of a short-handed Iowa team that has been forced to retool its lineup multiple times this season. The Hawkeyes are currently without both of their preseason captains. They have been without senior Meghan Buzzerio since September. Iowa has also been operating without junior Brie Orr since Oct. 26.

“It’s just kind of day-by-day with [Orr’s] injury,” head coach Vicki Brown said.

Orr’s presence has been missed. Iowa is 1-2 without Orr this season. Her great leadership and phenomenal talent are invaluable to the Hawkeyes.

RELATED: Iowa volleyball faces Penn State, Rutgers at home

“We’re missing some key players on our team right now,” libero Halle Johnston said. “It allows the rest of us to step into positions to lead, and lead by example, and lead vocally. We’re trying to fill a hole right now. I don’t think we’re there yet. It’s going to take a couple more voices.”

Courtney Buzzerio has done a terrific job in relief of Orr over Iowa’s past three games. Buzzerio has racked up 102 assists in her return to her natural setter position.

“The biggest part is finding my role as a leader on the team,” Buzzerio said. “As a setter, that’s kind of what you do naturally. I find that my biggest way to contribute to that is just doing my job.”

Iowa native Jaedynn Evans has also found a new role for the Hawkeyes. Evans saw her first game action since Sept. 6.

“It felt so good,” Evans said. “I’ve missed it a lot. It’s a lot of fun. I’m glad that Vicki gave me another chance.”

Rutgers was not the only team that defeated Iowa this weekend. The Nittany Lions ambushed the Hawkeyes on Friday night. Penn State also swept Iowa in three sets. The Hawkeyes are now 0-55 all-time against PSU.

Despite the hardships the weekend presented, the road ahead looks promising for Iowa. In addition to the potential return of Orr, last weekend will serve as a tremendous motivator for the Hawkeyes going forward.

“This will definitely motivate us to do better,” Johnston said. “We’re going to work really hard this week at practice.”