Golston, Epenesa take advantage of snap increase

Chauncey Golston and A.J. Epenesa are seeing an increase in snaps this season, and they’re taking advantage.

Iowa+defensive+end+Chauncey+Golston+tackles+Northwestern+quarter+back+Aidan+Smith+during+a+game+against+Northwestern+at+Ryan+Field+on+Saturday%2C+October+26%2C+2019.+The+Hawkeyes+defeated+the+Wildcats+20-0.+The+Hawkeyes+had+a+total+of+63+tackles.+

Megan Nagorzanski

Iowa defensive end Chauncey Golston tackles Northwestern quarter back Aidan Smith during a game against Northwestern at Ryan Field on Saturday, October 26, 2019. The Hawkeyes defeated the Wildcats 20-0. The Hawkeyes had a total of 63 tackles.

Pete Ruden, Pregame Editor

In 2018, A.J. Epenesa and Chauncey Golston weren’t starters on what was possibly Iowa’s single strongest position group.

Instead, Golston saw around 25 snaps per game on the defensive line, and Epenesa was mainly thrust into action on passing downs, while Parker Hesse and Anthony Nelson held down the fort for the majority of the game.

That’s hard to believe when looking at their production this season. Although the stats — especially Epenesa’s — aren’t as eye-popping as they were last season, each defensive end still finds ways to impact the game.

Now, Golston and Epenesa are playing upwards of 60 snaps a game, and they’re taking advantage of the extra time on the field.

“Coming from last year, I was at like 25 snaps a game. Now I’m like 60-plus,” Golston said. “The first game, it was kind of shocking because I’ve seen Anthony do it and Parker, but to be out there and experience it yourself, it takes a second to get used to.”

Epenesa and Golston rank first and third on the Hawkeyes in sacks, respectively, with Epenesa racking up 3.5 so far and Golston taking opposing quarterbacks down 2.5 times.

They’ve both made impacts in the passing game, as well.

Epenesa has batted down three passes this season, and Golston intercepted a pass against Northwestern on Saturday.

The pass from Wildcat quarterback Aidan Smith was tipped by Hawkeye defensive tackle Brady Reiff. From there, it fell into Golston’s arms.

Although the turnover only yielded a missed field goal, it set the tone for Iowa defensively, as the Hawkeyes recorded their second Big Ten shutout of the season.

RELATED: Hawkeye rushing attack finally successful against Wildcats

“I was like, ‘Mmm, golden opportunity,’” Golston said. “Get the offense on the field right now.”

Epenesa also posted a solid performance on Saturday, recording five tackles with 0.5 sacks, combining with redshirt freshman Joe Evans.

Through eight games last season, Epenesa had already registered eight sacks on his way to leading the Big Ten with 10.5.

While his production has dwindled this season, Epenesa’s still finding ways to get to the quarterback while facing double teams, and his teammates are getting in on the action, as well.

“I guess if they’re going to double or triple-team me, we’re going to have multiple one-on-ones on the field,” Epenesa said. “No matter who it is, we got guys that can win one-one one situations, and we got guys that should win… If they’re going to do that, if they think that’s necessary, then we’re going to take advantage of it with the other guys.”

Iowa has been on both sides of close games this season.

It fell to Michigan 10-3 and lost to Penn State 17-12 in a two-week stretch earlier in the month before picking up a 26-20 win over Purdue on Oct. 19, as the Boilermakers made it a game late.

In all of those games, Iowa’s defense — which hasn’t allowed more than 20 points in a game this season — kept the Hawkeyes within striking distance.

The defense will need to keep up that level of play as the Hawkeyes look to get back to Indianapolis for the Big Ten Championship with Wisconsin and Minnesota standing in the way.

“[On Saturday] our defense did a great job, and they’ve been playing pretty darn good,” Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz said. “In any sport, if you can play defense, you’ve got a chance to win games, so I’m OK with that. And I’m OK if we score points, too.”