Men’s golf completes fall season

The Iowa men’s golf team will finish out its fall season this week as it takes on the Royal Oaks Intercollegiate.

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Ben A

Iowa sophomore Alex Schaake poses for a portrait at Hoak Family Golf Complex on Tuesday, April 24, 2018.

Cassandra Buchholz, Sports Reporter

The Iowa men’s golf team completes its fall season in Dallas, Texas, as they compete in the Royal Oaks Intercollegiate hosted by Baylor University.

The Hawkeyes’ lineup includes senior Alex Schaake in the No. 1 spot, followed by senior Benton Weinberg, junior Joe Kim, sophomore Gonzalo Leal Montero, and freshman Mac McClear.

McClear has been a standout freshman. He tied for 23rd at the Fighting Irish Classic Oct. 8, carding a 219 (+1) out of three rounds and the best tournament score out of the three Hawkeye freshmen.

The Royal Oaks Intercollegiate is played at the 7,068-yard Royal Oaks Country Club and is a par-71 course. Rounds begin at 8:15 a.m. Monday with a shotgun start for rounds one and two. The final round will be played on Tuesday with a staggered shotgun start at 8:30 a.m. The tournament will be played in “Maxwell” style format, as all five players from each team with be paired together.

Teams competing over the two days include ranked No. 6 Southern Methodist, No. 11 Baylor, and No. 40 Charlotte. Fellow Big Ten members Michigan and Nebraska will also be in Dallas.

Iowa finished eighth last year at a different course due to flooding. Seniors Benton Weinberg and Alex Schaake led the Hawkeyes with scores of +5 and +6.

RELATED: Men’s golf finishes third out of 14 teams at Fighting Irish Classic

The Hawkeyes also competed at the event in 2017, finishing in seventh place. Weinberg finished 17th individually, scoring a 212 (-1). Schaake completed the tournament in 38th place at 216 (+4) in his sophomore season. This is the 10th year Iowa is competing at the Royal Oaks Intercollegiate.

The team comes off of a third-place finish at the Notre Dame Fighting Irish Classic, placing ahead of No. 3 Arizona State by eight strokes and ahead of three other Big Ten teams: Rutgers, Michigan, Michigan State. Schaake was Iowa’s top-finisher for the third-straight tournament and completed a season-best three-round total of 212 (-1) and tied for 13th individually.