Former Hawkeye B.J. Armstrong returns to Iowa

Former Iowa guard B.J. Armstrong returned to Iowa City to serve as the Grad Marshal in the homecoming parade and more.

Pete Ruden, Pregame Editor

Former Iowa basketball guard B.J. Armstrong returned to Iowa City this week to serve as the Grand Marshal in Iowa’s homecoming parade.

In his trip back, Armstrong, a three-time NBA champion with the Chicago Bulls, noted the home feel that Iowa City brings him.

“First moment I stepped on campus, it’s been incredible just meeting the people the fans,” Armstrong said. “I’ve always considered this home. The people here have always welcomed me with open arms.”

Along with serving as the Grand Marshal in the parade, Armstrong had a chance to address the current Iowa basketball team.

The Hawkeyes, who made it to the second round of the NCAA Tournament last season, are faced with question marks after fielding a different roster from 2018-19 and with Jordan Bohannon’s status still up in the air, but Armstrong said he liked what he saw.

“My impression is they’re going to be a very good team,” Armstrong said. “They have some really good players. They’re figuring out their roles on the team. Coach [Fran McCaffery] is a master of getting guys together, and he’s one of the best in the business. I’m really excited to see them and what they’re going to do.

“But the Big Ten every year is packed. The Michigan States, the Ohio States, all the teams, so it’s going to be tough competition, but I think we’ll be up for the task.”

Armstrong also reflected on his time as a player at Iowa.

“I just think those years, we had a special group of people and all of the players,” Armstrong said. “Especially the ’87 team, the team that was able to win [30] games. We had great leadership with Kevin Gamble, Brad Lohaus, and Gerry Wright. It was Coach [Tom] Davis’ first year. Myself, Roy Marble, and all of us. We were young and kind of just wide-eyed and ready to do whatever was asked of us.

“It’s something about here and the fans here, the people just took to that team.”