Field hockey hits the road for two weekend matchups

The Hawkeyes take on Indiana and No. 5 Louisville on the road trip as the regular season nears its end.

Iowa+forward+Maddy+Murphy+passes+the+ball+during+the+Iowa+field+hockey+match+against+Rutgers+on+Friday%2C+Oct.+4%2C+2019+at+Grant+Field.+The+Hawkeyes+beat+the+Scarlet+Knights+2-1.+

Emily Wangen

Iowa forward Maddy Murphy passes the ball during the Iowa field hockey match against Rutgers on Friday, Oct. 4, 2019 at Grant Field. The Hawkeyes beat the Scarlet Knights 2-1.

Jahlynn Hancock, Sports Reporter

The No. 6 Iowa field hockey team hits the road this weekend with matches against Indiana and Louisville. The Hawkeyes face off today against the Hoosiers in Bloomington, Indiana, and Sunday against the Cardinals in Louisville, Kentucky.

The Hawkeyes move into this weekend with a recent defeat at the hands of No. 2 Maryland and a win against Penn State this past weekend. The Hawkeyes fell short against Maryland 3-0 and trumped Penn State 4-1. The Hawkeyes boast a 10-3 for the season heading into the weekend slate of matchups.

The Hawkeyes currently lead the series against the Hoosiers 21-7, including a 6-3 record on Hoosier territory. Indiana is currently sitting on a 4-9 season, facing many ranked teams at the start of its season.

The Hoosiers captured a win against No. 23 Michigan State, while falling against No. 12 Louisville, No. 9 Michigan, No. 12 Ohio State, No. 19 Rutgers, and No. 2 Maryland.

The Hoosiers have grasped experience against these top- 25 teams, which could impact the game plan against the Hawkeyes. Sophomore Hailey Couch leads the Hoosiers with eight goals and a total of 17 points. Senior Kelsey Guese currently leads the team in assists with four.

The Hoosiers currently rotate two goalkeepers, junior Sachi Ananias and sophomore Shelby Querry. Ananias has managed to capture 72 saves and allow 32 goals during her 11 games this season. Querry has totaled 20 saves and allowed 10 goals over her three appearances during the season.

RELATED: National championship not out of reach for Hawkeyes

Iowa’s last matchup against Indiana was Sept. 16, 2018, where the match ended in a shutout — 3-0 — in Iowa City.

The Hawkeyes currently trail Louisville in their all-times series 4-7. Iowa also has a losing record playing against Louisville in Kentucky, dropping three of five games.

Louisville senior Bethany Russ currently leads the team in goals and assists, with eight goals and four assists. Trailing Russ are juniors Mercedes Pastor and Madison Walsh with six goals and three assists apiece.

The last time the Hawkeyes and the Cardinals faced off was 2012 in Louisville, falling 2-1 to the Cardinals. This match will be the first time that both teams are ranked top-10 nationally when they face off.

Junior Maddy Murphy leads Iowa with six goals this season. Katie Birch currently leads the team and ranks second in the Big Ten with eight assists. Senior goalkeeper Leslie Speight has managed to capture 21 saves this season and allowed only 11 goals.

The Hawkeyes return to Iowa City for their final home game of the season against Northwestern Oct. 26.