Mannix, Van Heuvelen Treadwell form dynamic duo for Iowa tennis

Senior Elise Van Heuvelen Treadwell and sophomore Samantha Mannix both competed at the ITA All-American event over the weekend. The pair should make for a dynamic doubles group for Iowa tennis this season.

Iowas+Samantha+Mannix+prepares+to+serve+during+a+womens+tennis+match+between+Iowa+and+Xavier+at+the+Hawkeye+Tennis+and+Recreation+Center+on+Friday%2C+January+18%2C+2019.+The+Hawkeyes+swept+the+Muskateers%2C+7-0.+

Iowa’s Samantha Mannix prepares to serve during a women’s tennis match between Iowa and Xavier at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Center on Friday, January 18, 2019. The Hawkeyes swept the Muskateers, 7-0.

Austin Hanson, Sports Reporter

Programs and individuals are driven by results. Successful individuals help make successful programs. This season, Iowa women’s tennis is putting together an impressive collection of talent.

Three individuals have already entered the spotlight for the Hawkeyes this season. Erika Dodridge is one of them. Dodridge won the D Draw of the Gopher Invitational earlier this fall and is a successful individual who can help build a solid program.

Dodridge’s victory is not the only individual feat that has helped lay the groundwork for a solid 2019 campaign. Over the weekend, senior Elise Van Heuvelen Treadwell and sophomore Samantha Mannix competed in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s All-American event.

ITA All-American events are some of the most prestigious collegiate tennis events the United States has to offer. Remarkably, the Hawkeyes were able to qualify multiple athletes for such an exclusive event.

“I think it’s huge for the team,” Mannix said. “Just to show that Iowa deserves to be at such a prestigious event and then building forward to see if we can get more players to go each year.”

Van Heuvelen Treadwell shared Mannix’s thoughts, reiterating how important it was to have not one but two Hawkeyes at the event over the weekend.

“It’s an honor to be at the tournament,” Van Heuvelen Treadwell said. “To have two Hawkeyes represented in the tournament is a good thing for the program.”

Mannix and Van Heuvelen Treadwell started off hot in Tulsa, Oklahoma. On Saturday, both Hawkeyes won their first individual matches of the weekend. Van Heuvelen Treadwell finished the day 2-0. Mannix posted a 1-1 record after the first day of play concluded.

The weekend was not as kind to Van Heuvelen Treadwell and Mannix after day one. Van Heuvelen Treadwell lost the Hawkeyes’ lone matchup on Sunday. As doubles play began on Monday, the Hawkeyes were only able to find limited success. The Hawkeye duo lost its first matchup, but grinded out a consolation bracket victory.

Limited doubles success against the elite teams in the nation will not deter Mannix and Van Heuvelen Treadwell. Losing to the best doubles pairs in the country is certainly nothing for the Hawkeyes to hang their heads about.

It’s also likely that this tournament won’t be the only time Mannix and Van Heuvelen Treadwell find themselves paired together. The two Hawkeyes may serve as Iowa’s dynamic doubles duo all season long.

“I’m so excited,” Mannix said. “I love playing with Elise. She makes it easy in doubles.”

RELATED: Dodridge emerging as star for Hawkeye tennis

Van Heuvelen Treadwell also like the idea of playing with Mannix. 

“We’ve played in a couple matches before,” Van Heuvelen Treadwell said. “We played in the summer at a couple ITAs. We had some good results, so I’m really excited to go off of that.” 

Overall, Mannix and Treadwell posted a winning record on the weekend at 4-3. The pair went 1-1 in doubles play and 3-2 in singles.

The successful performance proved that Iowa women’s tennis is taking steps in the right direction.

Iowa head coach Sasha Schmid is proud of her Hawkeyes that competed last weekend and knows that something big is in store of Iowa women’s tennis this season.

“Elise and Sam competed so tough at Tulsa these past three days,” Schmid said. “They had some quality wins, and I’m proud of their play. They were a couple points short in three decisive tie-breakers in the matches we lost, so no doubt that will motivate them to get back and compete hard at regionals in 10 days.”