Iowa volleyball prepares for toughest opponent yet

The Hawkeyes face off against No. 7 Minnesota at Carver-Hawkeye Arena in Iowa’s toughest matchup yet.

Megan Nagorzanski

Iowa setter Brie Orr returns a serve during a volleyball match between Iowa and Washington at Carver Hawkeye Arena on Saturday, September 7, 2019. The Hawkeyes were defeated by the Huskies, 3-1.

Ben Palya, Sports Reporter

After a long weekend in Illinois, Iowa volleyball is continuing its start to Big Ten play against No. 7 Minnesota (8-2). The Golden Gophers will be the toughest match of the season so far for the Hawkeyes, as Minnesota boasts an impressive list of accomplishments.

After a tough start to the season with three-set losses to Florida State and Texas, Minnesota has roared back, dropping just one set in its last seven wins. The Golden Gophers have already beat former No. 1 Stanford and swept aside Purdue and Indiana in their first Big Ten matches this past weekend.

Even with that in mind, Iowa feels ready for the challenge at hand.

“They had a really great pre-season, and they’re really making a statement,” Iowa head coach Vicki Brown said.

Minnesota brings with it a well-balanced attack based around junior Stephanie Samedy, averaging a team high 4.52 kills per set. The team has five attackers averaging over two kills per set, so Iowa will have its work cut out trying to defend the strong attack. Kylie Miller is another key player for the Golden Gophers, averaging 11.93 assists per set.

The Golden Gophers had three players named in the Big Ten Weekly Honors this week. Samedy won Player of the Week, Bayley McMenimen earned Setter of the Week, and CC McGraw was named Defensive Player of the Week.

Iowa will have its hands full with a stiff Minnesota defense, so the Hawkeyes will need to win the long rallies and work hard for every point. The Golden Gophers average 2.6 blocks per set and 18.5 digs per set, much higher than Iowa’s 1.7 blocks per set and 14.2 digs per set.

Courtney Buzzerio will be relied upon, as her size will be necessary if Iowa will contend with Minnesota’s consistent play continued over the weekend.

RELATED: Hawkeye volleyball hits the road to start Big Ten season

Another player that will be central to Iowa’s success in this week’s match will be Halle Johnston, Iowa’s key defensive player with an average of 5.12 digs per set, a high for both teams. If Johnston can make some key defensive plays as well, then Iowa could be in a better position to win.

Minnesota plays a more defensive style, making opponents earn points. If Iowa can implement their attacking play and eliminate errors, there is a chance that they can pull off the big upset.

Having the match at Carver-Hawkeye is going to be a big advantage for the Hawkeyes, as the team looks forward to the energy and enthusiasm that comes with playing at home.

“It brings a lot,” Buzzerio said. “The crowd fills the space, and playing Minnesota should be a fun game.”

The home crowd may be an important factor in finishing sets, which is something that the team wants to focus on in future matches.

“It’s more about embracing the stressors of winning instead of fighting them,” junior Brie Orr said. 

The Hawkeyes compete at 7 p.m. Thursday at Carver-Hawkeye with the game also slated to be broadcast on the Big Ten Network.