Iowa soccer loses in overtime to Northwestern

The Hawkeyes lost their first game at home this season in overtime against the Wildcats.

Wyatt Dlouhy

Northwestern Defender Danika Austin keeps the ball away from Iowa Forward Gianna Gourley during the Iowa Women’s Soccer game versus Northwestern at the Hawkeye Soccer Complex in Iowa City on Sunday, September 29, 2019. The Wildcats defeated the Hawkeyes 2-1 in overtime. (Wyatt Dlouhy/The Daily Iowan)

Isaac Goffin, Sports Reporter

The Iowa soccer team suffered its first home defeat of the season in devastating fashion, 2-1 in overtime against Northwestern on Sunday. The Hawkeyes are now 10-2 on the season, with a 2-2 record in the Big Ten. 

Freshman defender Danika Austin scored the game-winning goal for the Wildcats in the 97th minute off a corner kick, as she got the ball past senior goalkeeper Claire Graves.

This was the Hawkeyes first loss at the Iowa Soccer Complex since 2017, which happened in large part to the team’s mentality.

“I didn’t like our mentality to start the game,” DiIanni said. “I thought we were really slow, first 20, 25 minutes. I thought our subs did a great job in the first half of not only getting a goal back but providing a bit more energy in the attack.”

DiIanni added that he never felt like his team had control in the game.

The players also recognized that their mentality contributed to their defeat.

“In overtime, your mentality has to be ‘it’s golden goal,’ ” sophomore midfielder Hailey Rydberg said. “And, I don’t know, we just didn’t do well with our mentality today. [We’ve] got to be better next week.”

RELATED: Iowa soccer defeats Illinois, 3-1

The Hawkeyes were down to begin the game as in the 30th minute, the Wildcats struck first when freshman defender Reilly Riggs scored a header off a corner kick. 

Eight minutes later, the Hawkeye struck back when Rydberg scored off a deflection for her first goal of the season. 

“It felt good,” Rydberg said. “But at the end of the day, it didn’t really get us where we wanted to be.”

The Hawkeyes had multiple opportunities to take the lead in the second half but were unable to convert on 10 shots and 3 corner kicks. The Hawkeyes also had three shots in the six-plus minutes of overtime they played. 

“I think it comes down to the bite defensively,” senior captain and defender Hannah Drkulec said. “As we saw, two set-piece goals are things we just need not allow to happen. We need to be on the front foot, we need to be tougher to play against in that regard, and then finishing some of our chances. We had so many chances, but it ultimately comes down to those set-pieces.”

Drkulec added that the team needs to change its mindset on defensive set-pieces or that they need to work harder to not give up goals on them. 

Sophomore goalkeeper Mackenzie Wood did a great job for the Wildcats with eight saves on the game. 

Big Ten play has proven to be as competitive for the Hawkeyes, as they thought it would be coming into the season. 

“This is the second Sunday in a row where we have not played well,” DiIanni said. “And where we have been slow starting and also giving up a set-piece goal, that’s something we’ve got to coach better and their mentality has got to be better.”

The Hawkeyes return to their home field at 7 p.m.  Thursday against Nebraska.