Hawkeyes face two ranked conference opponents

Iowa field hockey takes on Big Ten play at home this weekend.

Hannah Kinson

Iowa forward Leah Zellner tries to shield the ball from two Duke players during a field hockey game at Grant Field on Sunday, September 15, 2019. The Hawkeyes were defeated by the Blue Devils, 2-1 after two overtime periods.

Jahlynn Hancock, Sports Reporter

Iowa field hockey returns to Grant Field this weekend for its first two conference matchups.

No. 8 Iowa will be continuing its season against No. 14 Ohio State later today and No. 24 Michigan State on Sunday.

After a lengthy weather delay, Iowa field hockey managed to capture a road win against unranked Kent State last weekend in Ann Arbor, Michigan. The Hawkeyes took the game easily. 5-1 after goals by sophomore Anthe Nijziel, junior Maddy Murphy, sophomore Meghan Conroy, and senior Katie Birch.

Murphy led the Iowa team, as she managed to either score or assist four of Iowa’s goals on the game. 

Both Iowa and Kent State were an evenly matched team despite the rankings in the way that both teams prepared. However, the Hawkeyes changed up their scoring patterns against Kent State that led to the victory.

As for this coming weekend, Ohio State is currently 4-3 on the season coming off of losses against No. 11 Virginia, No. 8 Louisville, and No. 11 Northwestern. 

The Hawkeyes currently are leading the all-time series 48-14 against the Buckeyes. They haven’t lost to Ohio State at all in the past three years, with the last matchup resulting in a 2-1 victory. 

Iowa field hockey is scheduled to match up with Michigan State on Sunday following the match with Ohio State. Michigan State is 5-3 on the season and is coming off of two losses against No. 12 Louisville and No. 3 Connecticut. 

Iowa leads the all-time series 52-14, with a 20-7 record at home. The last time that the Hawkeyes and the Spartans met, Iowa took the game in a 4-0 shutout.  

Michigan State brings two key players to Iowa City: junior Lia Sinisi and junior Cara Bonshak. Sinisi is its lead scorer with four goals and Bonshak leading the team in assists. 

Meanwhile, Iowa’s lead scorers are seniors Katie Birch and Sophie Sunderland with five goals each, and Birch leads the team with five assists.